Star Ornament 'n Card
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Antique Gold, Burnt Sienna,
Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red,
Carousel Pink, Grey Sky, Holly
Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Napa
Red, Pineapple, Pumpkin, Santa
Red, Terra Cotta, Warm White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #6,
#10; Liner, Series R2595, #10/0;
Bristle Stencil, Series R111, 3/8”
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Gloss
- Gold craft wire, 20-gauge, 14”
- White pom-pom, 5mm
- Gold cording, 11”
- Green satin ribbon, 1/8”-wide, 4”
- Adhesive foam squares, eight
(found in scrapbooking areas)
- Envelope, 5-3/4”x8-3/4”
- Birch plywood 1/64”x6”x7”, from
- Wooden shapes 1”, from Bear With
Us: stocking; gingerbread, two;
- Watercolor paper, 5-7/8”x10-7/8”, 120 lb.
- Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Glue
- 1. For card, fold watercolor paper in half; trim to measure 5-1/2”x8-1/2”. Measure a 1” border along top and bottom edges of card front; paint Holly Green. Draw a 1/4”-wide border, spacing 1/4” apart from green borders; paint Santa Red. Paint a thin Cadmium Yellow line along red border edges as shown.
- 2. Print out pattern. Transfer star outline onto plywood; use scissors to carefully cut out star. Use #10 shader to undercoat Antique Gold; base Cadmium Yellow for opaque coverage.
- 1. When painting with liner, use very light touch. Do not overload brush and just use very tip end with little pressure. This will achieve a very tiny line.
- 1. Use #10 shader to shade Terra Cotta
along edges on left side and highlight
Pineapple along edges on right side.
Using photo as guide, use stencil brush to dry brush cheeks Carousel Pink. Use Lamp Black and handle end of #10 shader to dot eyes; use liner to line smile and eyebrows. Add Warm White highlight lines along top of cheeks and add highlight dots to eyes.
- 1. Use #6 shader to undercoat red area
Antique Gold; base Santa Red for opaque coverage. Use same brush to shade Napa Red along left side and highlight Cadmium Red along right side. Paint “fur” Warm White; shade Grey Sky along left side. Add Warm White stitch lines along outer edges of red area.
- 1. Use #10 shader to base Terra Cotta. Use #6 shader to shade Burnt Sienna along left side and highlight Pumpkin along right side. Fig. 1. Use liner and Warm White to outline gingerbread shape leaving small space along edges; add icing lines at ends of arms and legs. Add whispy Warm White “hair” strokes and smile. Use stylus to add tiny Lamp Black eye and button dots. Dot cheeks
- 1. Use #6 shader to base Cadmium Yellow; highlight Warm White along right top edges. Fig. 2. Use Lamp Black and toothpick to dip-dot eyes; use liner to line eyebrows and mouth. Dot cheeks Carousel Pink.
- 1. Apply varnish to all wood surfaces. Let dry.
- 2. Use 1/8” drill bit to drill holes at end
of large star’s arms and top of head, in upper left corner of stocking, and at end of gingerbread arms. Cut two 3” lengths from wire. Center remaining 5” length through stocking hole; wrap ends around liner brush handle to curl then thread ends through one gingerbread arm hole. Coil ends securing wire in place.
Thread 3” lengths through remaining gingerbread arm holes. Coil ends to secure and wrap remaining lengths around brush handle to curl. Thread ends through large star arm holes and coil to secure.
- 3. For hanger, fold cording in half and
thread through head hole; thread ends
through loop formed and pull tight. Tie
cord ends together in a knot 1” from
- 4. Tie ribbon into bow and glue to top left corner of stocking; glue pom-pom
to tip of stocking.
- 5. Apply adhesive squares to back of little stars; adhere three stars to top
and bottom green borders spacing evenly apart. Use remaining adhesive squares to adhere large star to center front of card. (Note: To mail cards, it is advised to use a bubble envelope.)
- 1. Substitute birch plywood for rusty star (11-RT7102 from Cupboard Distributing) if desired and paint in same manner. Use small stars and earring posts to create earrings.