Rudolph & Friends Advent Calendar - Part 1
- Jo Sonja Gouache: Potting Shed: Blue Lagoon, Claret Rose, Cornflower, Forest Green, Geranium,
Mustard Seed, Primrose, Wild Rose;
Background: Harbor Blue, Island Sand, Tree Frog Green; Tube Colors: Brown Earth, Nimbus Grey,
Opal Dust, Payne’s Grey, Provincial Beige, Raw Umber, Rich Gold, Titanium White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Majestic: Glaze/Wash, Series R4700, 3/4”; Angular, Series R4160, 1/4”, 1/2”; Royal Fusion: Filbert, Series R3170, #2, #4, #6; Shader, Series R3150, #2, #4; Liner, Series 3595, #1; Round, Series R3250, #4; Royal Sable: Short Round, Series L5005, #4, #6
- Brushes: Scumbler, stippler or scruffy
- Jo Sonja: All-Purpose Sealer; Clear
Glaze Medium; Magic Mix; Flow
- Matte varnish
- Advent Calendar (CAL600) from
- 1. Print out pattern. Seal all surfaces, including back, and edges. Sand lightly and remove dust.
- 2. Use Mustard Seed to base frame, dividers, “doors”, and knobs; repeat
with Rich Gold. Glue knobs on doors. Use liner to stroke numbers Harbour Blue; overstroke with Cornflower.
- 3. Base background panel Harbour Blue.
Transfer basic details onto top panel.
- 1. Fold five to six paper towel sheets in half and dampen; unfold and lightly press out excess water (do not crumple but rather fold and unfold). Sandwich
between folded deli sheet; smooth to create well-bonded pad. Place this on half of dry strip palette. This will give a constant wet palette using dry area for blending.
- 2. Background of surface is “shade” color; leave linework visible to be erased later. Use appropriate size shader and filbert brushes to base shapes using shape following strokes. Use layering technique to dry brush highlights. Use short round brushes as blenders.
- 1. Mix A = Nimbus Grey + Payne’s Grey (3:1)
- 2. Mix B = Payne’s Grey + Raw Umber (1:1)
- 1. Refer to painting charts.
Fir Trees & Boughs
- 1. Use 1/4” angular and slightly thinned
Forest Green to base boughs using “U” shaped strokes. Repeat using mix of Forest Green + Tree Frog Green (2:1) leaving some dark color showing at base of each bough. Use chisel edge of brush and mix of Tree Frog Green + Forest Green (3:1) to highlight “needles” on each bough; add additional Tree Frog Green highlights if desired. For snow, use #4 round and mix of Titanium White + Blue Lagoon (1:1) to pull from outer edges in on each bough.
- 1. Base thinned Mustard Seed. Dry brush Primrose on front of building. Base door Geranium; use dirty brush to repeat with touch of Wild Rose. Use #2 filbert and Primrose to base windows; highlight with streak of Titanium White and outline with thinned Payne’s Grey. Base roof with Mix A. Dry brush Titanium White; repeat avoiding right side. Base stairs Mustard Seed; overstroke with Rich Gold then use chisel edge of #2 filbert to streak Titanium White.
- 1. Base with Mix A; overstroke with thinned Titanium White. Repeat with more Titanium White. Base red bands Claret Rose; overstroke with Geranium and then with mix of Wild Rose + Titanium White (1:1). Add very thin Titanium White highlight line down center. Base ball and platform Mustard Seed; higlight Primrose on left side, then wash Rich Gold. Add Titanium White streaks.
- 1. Base Claret Rose; overstroke with Geranium. Highlight tips of wings and
head with Wild Rose. Paint face area
with Mix B. Dot eyes Payne’s Grey and add tiny Titanium White highlight dot. Base beak Mustard Seed; overstroke with Primrose.
- 1. Base with Mix A. Paint eyes with Mix B; add tiny Titanium White highlight dots. Overstroke body with mix of Provincial Beige + Brown Earth (1:1); use thined Titanium White to overstroke tail, edges of ears, legs, feet, front of face, and chest. Add bits of Payne’s Grey linework to bottom edge of bunnies.
- 1. Using worksheet as guide, base some areas Brown Earth and other areas with Mix A. Base “mask” with Mix B. Use Mix B to darken top of tail, rump, back of legs, and inside ears. Use thinned Titanium White to overstroke Mix A areas; repeat with more Titanium White. Use mix of Brown Earth + Provincial Beige (4:1) to dry brush back leg, sides of head, and back. Use Payne’s Grey to dot eyes and line toenails. Add tiny Titanium White highlight dot to eyes. Use mix of Provincial Beige + Mustard Seed (2:1) to add accents to muzzle area and inside ears.
- 1. Base with mix of Raw Umber + Brown Earth (1:1). Use #2 filbert to dry brush Provincial Beige. Use very thin
Titanium White to accent tails of three
deer on left side. Use Provincial Beige
to line antlers; use Raw Umber to line antlers over steps of building. Dot tiny
Payne’s Grey eyes.
- 1. Base with mix of Raw Umber + Brown Earth (1:1). Use #4 filbert to dry brush Provincial Beige. Use mix of Provincial Beige + Primrose (2:1) to add additional highlight to rump, back of leg curve, tail, edge of ears, and forehead. Use liner to paint eyes with Mix B; add tiny Titanium White highlight dots. Line antlers with mix of
Raw Umber + Provincial Beige (1:1);
highlight Provincial Beige. Base nose
Claret Rose; dry brush Geranium and
brighten with Wild Rose. Add Titanium
White highlight shine.
- 2. Base bridle Forest Green; overstroke
with mix of Forest Green + Tree Frog
Green (1:1) and add Tree Frog Green
- 1. Use mix of Cornflower + Titanium White (1:1) to streak in distant ground snow; repeat with touch more thinned Titanium White. If needed, float Harbour Blue to tone down background snow near reindeers’ legs and faces. In same manner, use round brush to streak in Titanium White “lumpier” foreground snow in front of Rudolph and friends; repeat. Add thin Blue Lagoon glaze to outer areas of snow.
- 1. Stroke in using chisel edge of filbert
and Mustard Seed; repeat with Primrose and then small touches of Island Sand in center. Add a few Opal Dust sparkles. Use chisel edge of filbert to very softly dry brush Blue Lagoon around outside of star.
- 1. Use tip of liner and mix of Opal Dust +
Titanium White (1:1) to randomly add
tiny dots throughout sky.
- 1. Apply Clear Glaze Medium over painted area.