A Bucket Full of Leaves
- DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamel:
Antique Gold, Black, Bright Orange,
Bright Yellow, Burnt Orange, Burnt Sienna, Calypso Blue, Dark Chocolate, Dioxazine Purple,
Hauser Medium Green, Honey Brown, Lavender, Napa Red
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Angular
Shader, Series 7400, 1/2”; Script
Liner, Series 7050, #0;
Specialty: Deerfoot Stippler Russian Fitch, Series 410, 1/4”; Berry Maker, Series 515, XL
- Brushes: Diane Trierweiler Signature Brushes: Petal Brush Set (#2, #4, #8 Natural Hair Tongues); Petal Brush, 1/2” (Natural Hair Mix Tongue)
- Enamel Medium, Clear
- White enamel bucket available
through Diane Trierweiler
- 1. Print out pattern. Transfer large leaf patterns omit branches, filler leaves, and berries at this time.
- 1. A realistic look will be achieved by
layering the techniques and colors. The first layer is to give leaves footing. Allow to dry thoroughly. Pull paint following direction of leaves. Brush strokes may be visible, but should be minimal due to natural hair of brush. Use a light touch. Stipple first layer of shadow and highlight. Then use angle brush to soften shadows and highlights
with float of color. Accent colors are tints and reinforcement of highlights. Add Lavender back light into shadows to highlight. Tints are watered down paints that are reflective colors from surrounding objects.
- 1. Use petal brush to base leaves as follows using pattern as guide for numbers and working from left to right: #1, Napa Red; #2, Antique Gold; #3, Burnt Sienna; #4, Napa Red; #5, Hauser Med. Green; #6, Antique Gold; #7, Burnt Orange; #8 Hauser Med. Green.
- 1. Rebase Napa Red; while wet, use deerfoot stippler to stipple Black at bottom to shade. With clean brush stipple Honey Brown at top to highlight. Let dry. Use angular shader and same colors to shade and highlight over same areas. Line veins Black; highlight Antique Gold.
- 1. Rebase Antique Gold; while wet, stipple shadow Burnt Sienna and stipple highlight Bright Yellow. Use angular shader to shade and highlight again. Line veins Burnt Sienna; highlight Antique Gold.
- 1. Rebase Burnt Sienna; while wet, stipple shadow Dk. Chocolate and stipple highlight Bright Orange. Use angular shader to shade and highlight again. Line veins Burnt Sienna; highlight Antique Gold.
- 1. Paint in same manner as Leaf #1.
- 1. Rebase Hauser Med. Green; while wet, stipple Burnt Orange shadow at base and stipple Antique Gold highlight at tip. Use angular shader to shade and highlight again. Line veins Burnt Sienna; highlight Antique Gold.
- 1. Rebase Antique Gold; while wet, stipple Hauser Med. Green shadow at base and stipple across top of leaf with mix of Burnt Sienna and Napa Red. Use angular shader to shade again. Line veins Burnt Sienna; highlight Antique Gold.
- 1. Rebase Burnt Orange; while wet, stipple Dk. Chocolate at bottom and stipple Bright Orange at top. Use angular shader to shade and highlight again. Line veins Burnt Sienna; highlight Antique Gold.
- 1. Paint in same manner as leaf #5.
Branches, Filler Leaves, & Berries
- 1. Transfer pattern details. Use liner to
base branches with Dk. Chocolate and a little water. Repeat same for tendrils. Use #8 petal brush to one-stroke leaves Hauser Med. Green. For pale lavender filler leaves, use same brush to stroke with Lavender and a little Clear Medium. For berries, use berry maker to dot some Burnt Orange and others Dioxazine Purple. Let dry. Use #4 petal brush to tint purple berries Calypso Blue and orange berries Bright Yellow. Use liner and Dk. Chocolate to connect leaves and berries to branches.
- 1. (Note: Use cotton swab and rubbing
alcohol to wipe away mistakes.)
Use gold leaf pen to outline all large
leaves and to highlight veins. Use 1/2”
petal brush to apply Clear Medium over painted areas. Allow paint to cure several days before washing. Hand washing is recommended.