Circle of Friends Pillow
- Natural burlap, 1/2 yd.
- Holiday striped fabric, 18"x21"
- Neutral fabric, 18"x21"
- Pillow form, 16" square
- Rainbow Classicfelt (The Kunin Group): Cashmere Tan; Sandstone; Cadet Blue; Antique White; Brown; Walnut Brown; Gold; Neon Green; Yellow; Baby Pink; Red
- Glitterfelt (The Kunin Group): White; Red; Black
- Fa La La Felt Buttons (Blumenthal Lansing): Red: 5/8", 11; 7/8"; Green, 5/8"
- Assorted red and lime ribbons/trims, three
- Dark Brown Brads (Hot Off The Press), 1/8", 18
- Dark Brown (898) 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Iron and pressing board
- Backstitch: >Backstitch
- Blanket Stitch: >Blanket Stitch
- Cut 17" squares from burlap (pillow front) and corresponding fabric (pillow back).
- Pin ribbon to burlap, 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" from top and left edges; sew.
- For ruffle, cut 3"-wide strips from fabric. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, pin right sides together, sew strips together. Press seams.
- Press outside edge down 1/2". Machine sew zigzag stitch along edge.
- Sew a basting stitch 1/4" from bottom of fabric strip. Do not backstitch ends.
- Pull threads to gather ruffle. Even ruffle out by distributing fabric along edge. Continue until ruffle reaches around edge of burlap square. Secure the string by wrapping it around a pin at end of fabric.
- Pin and sew ruffle to burlap square, using a 1/2" seam allowance.
- Print and cut out pattern. Cut materials from felt as indicated. Use photo as character assembly guide.
- Use three strands of floss to blanket stitch edges together.
- Use floss to backstitch smiles.
- Cross stitch buttons to characters as indicated on patterns.
- For eyes, attach brads to faces as indicated on patterns.
- Arrange and pin characters to pillow front. Use three strands of floss to blanket stitch circles to pillow front.
- With right sides together and using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew pillow front to back, leaving an opening along bottom edge for turning and inserting pillow form. Turn right side out through opening, insert pillow form and whipstitch opening closed.