Denim Star Placemat and Napkin
- Red placemat, 12”x18”
- Red dinner napkin, 18” square
- Denim fabric, 1/6 yd.
- Red Felt, 6” square
- Thread: navy rayon embroidery; all-purpose navy, white
- White embroidery floss
- White star buttons, 1/2” across, four
- Sewing machine
- Pellon: Wonder-Under Iron-on Adhesive Regular, Heavy-duty; Sof-Shape Tear-away Interfacing; Stitch-N-Tear Stabilizer
- Pressing cloth (optional)
scissors, iron and pressing surface, straight pins
- 1. Materials listed are for one placemat and napkin.
Placemat and Napkin
- 1. Wash placemat, napkin, and denim without fabric softener. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply interfacing, then regular iron-on adhesive, to back of denim. Apply heavy-duty iron-on adhesive to one side of felt.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns. Cut stars and hearts as indicated. Position three stars and hearts on left side of placemat, and one star and heart in one corner of napkin. Remove paper backing; fuse shapes in place.
- 3. Using two floss strands, blanket-stitch around hearts. Use white thread to sew button to center of each heart.
- 4. Cut squares from stabilizer to fit over design areas; pin in place on back. Using navy rayon for top thread and navy all-purpose in bobbin, satin stitch around stars.