Holiday Cards and Pins
- Plaid FolkArt High Definition
Acrylics: Autumn Leaves, Burnt
Umber, Cayman Blue, Engine Red,
Fresh Foliage, Hauser Medium
Green, Lavender, Licorice, Magenta,
Peach Perfection, Pure Orange, Raw
Sienna, Thicket, Turquoise, Wicker
White, Yellow Citron, Yellow Light,
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Golden Taklon: Round, Series R350, #1, #3, #6; Monogram Liner, Series R595, #10/0; Shader, Series R150, #4, #6
- Plaid FolkArt Artists’ Varnish, Satin
- DecoArt Glamour Dust, Crystal
- Pinback, 1-1/4”
- K&Company Designer Cards (24-pack with cut out window): Red, Sapphire
- Wood Slices available through Linda
- 1. Note: If designer cards with windows are not available, use craft knife to cut a 2-1/4” square, 2” from top edge from regular card.
- 2. Use emery board to sand top surface of wood slices. Seal slices, including bark, with several coats varnish. Basecoat pin fronts, avoiding bark, with Licorice.
- 3. Print out patterns; transfer basic details onto pins and card fronts.
- 1. Note: For best results, do not mix water with FolkArt HD paints. When changing colors to shade and highlight, wipe brush clean with paper towel. No topcoat or varnish is necessary.
Halloween Card and Pin
- 1. Fence, Barbed Wire, Spider, and Bats: Use micron pen to draw barbed wire, spider web, and legs. Use stylus and Licorice to dip-dot spider web and legs. Use #1 round and liner to paint fence Licorice. Use #3 round to undercoat spider’s body Wicker White; base Yellow Citron. Use #1 round to paint eyes Wicker White; add dip-dot Licorice pupils. Use #1 round and liner to paint bats Licorice.
- 2. Pumpkins: Use #6 round to undercoat
pumpkins Peach Perfection; base Autumn Leaves using heavy coat to create texture. While wet, highlight Pure Orange. Add additional Yellow Ochre highlights. Let dry. Side-load #4 shader with Burnt Umber to apply shading. Paint stem Burnt Umber. For pin, use liner and #1 round to add Thicket leaves and vines; while wet,
highlight Fresh Foliage.
- 3. Corn Stalks: Use liner to stroke stalks
from dark to light with Burnt Umber,
Raw Sienna, Yellow Ochre, and Yellow
Christmas Card and Pin
- 1. Undercoat trees, stars, gifts, and bulbs with Wicker White until opaque.
- 2. Trees and Stars: Use #6 round to base trees Yellow Citron; use shaders to shade Hauser Med. Green under each tier. To highlight tears, apply a bead of Wicker White directly from bottle along bottom of each tier; use #1 round and liner to pull up through wet paint. While wet, sprinkle with Glamour Dust; shake off excess.
- 3. For ornaments on tree of pin, squeeze a small paint dot directly from tube in
following colors: Magenta, Lavender, Cayman Blue, and Turquoise.
- 4. Use #3 round to base light bulbs on tree of card and around border in following colors: Yellow Citron, Turquoise, Cayman Blue, Lavender, and
Engine Red. Use Wicker White and #4
shader to highlight one side of each
bulb; use liner to add refl ection. Use
Licorice to paint base of each bulb.
- 5. Use #1 round and liner to base stars
Yellow Light; while wet, sprinkle with
Glamour dust. Shake off excess.
- 6. Gifts: Base tall gift Lavender, medium
size gift Cayman Blue, and front gift
Yellow Light. Use #4 shader and Wicker White to highlight along left side of tall and medium gift. Use liner and Turquoise to paint ribbons on tall gift; use dirty brush to highlight ribbons Wicker White. Add a second Yellow Light coat to front gift; while
wet, sprinkle with Glamour Dust. Shake off excess. Squeeze a thin bead of Wicker White directly from tube along top of lavender and yellow gifts. Use liner to pull down through wet paint forming “icicles”. While icicles on tall gift and snowflake and middle gift are wet, sprinkle with Glamour Dust. Shake off excess. Paint snowflake on top of middle gift.
- 1. Add spider web and bats, and tree to
inside of cards if desired.
- 2. Use glue gun to glue pinbacks to back
of pins. Carefully attach pins inside
windows of cards making sure to center pins. Add a special message to inside of cards.