Silly Monkey Business Headboard
- Plaid FolkArt: Acrylics: Apple Orchard, Butter Cream, Camel, Cardinal Red, Dark Brown, English Mustard, Grass Green, Green Meadow, Hauser Green Light, Hauser Green Medium, Medium Yellow, Nutmeg, Pumpkin, Pure Black, Skyline, Wicker White, Yellow Ochre; Chalkboard Paint: Camouflage
- Brushes: Plaid One Stroke: Flat, #2, #6, #8, #10, #12, 1-1/2”; Liner, #1, #2; Round, #6; Scruffy, 3/4”
- Pine wood (headboard), 36”x24”x1”
- Poplar square dowels (posts),
- Wood finials with hardware, 3” tall, two
- Plaid Foam Spouncer, 3/4”
- Foam paint roller, 3”
- Dual-tip black permanent marker
- Drill with 1/4” drill bit
- Wood screws, 1/4”x1-3/4”, six
- 1. Sand all wood pieces; wipe dust. Use
1-1/2” flat and Yellow Ochre to base all
wood pieces. Sand lightly; wipe dust.
- 2. Use painter’s tape to tape off a 3-1/2”
border around entire headboard.
- 3. Run fingers firmly over taped edges to prevent seepage. Use roller to apply Camouflage onto center of headboard. Let dry. Apply second coat. Remove tape.
- 4. Print out patterns; transfer basic details.
Trees, Palm Leaves, and Fronds
- 1. Use #12 flat to base tree trunks Camel; shade English Mustard along entire left side. Use #8 flat and Nutmeg to shade between sections. Use #12 flat to base palm leaves Green Meadow. Use scruffy to pounce Green Meadow at base of trees and on fronds. Use #12 flat to base fronds Hauser Green Med. Use #8 flat to
highlight palm leaves Hauser Green Lt.; shade fronds at base of trees Green Meadow.
- 1. Use spouncer to pounce Nutmeg. Dip
spouncer into Dk. Brown and pounce over coconuts to shade; highlight Butter Cream.
- 1. Use #8 flat to base monkeys Nutmeg;
shade Dk. Brown. Base faces, hands, and chests Butter Cream; shade English Mustard. Deepen shading on chest with Dk. Brown. Paint eyes Wicker White. Use Pure Black to dot pupils and to paint noses.
- 1. Use #8 flat to base Apple Orchard. Use scruffy to pounce Pumpkin, Medium Yellow, and Skyline onto chest area. Paint beak Medium Yellow. Paint eyelid Green Meadow and eye Wicker White. Dot pupil Pure Black.
Flowers and Bananas
- 1. Use round brush to paint flowers
Cardinal Red; while wet, use #6 flat
to paint centers Pumpkin. Use stylus
to dot centers Medium Yellow. Use
round brush to add random Hauser Lt. Green leaves at base of foliage. Use #1 and #2 liners to add random Grass Green and Apple Orchard grass sprigs. Paint Banana peels Medium Yellow and bananas Butter Cream; outline peels with Pure Black.
- 1. Use #12 flat to base Medium Yellow;
shade Pumpkin. Highlight foliage near
sun Medium Yellow.
- 1. Use appropriate tip marker to outline
and add all detailing. Apply two to
three varnish coats to painted design
avoiding chalkboard paint.
- 2. To assemble headboard, drill holes
through dowels 1” from top; drill two
more holes through dowels spacing each 11-1/2” apart. With wrong side of headboard facing up and design facing in right direction, apply a bead of wood glue along side edges of headboard; adhere dowels onto headboard and screw into place. Screw finials onto tops of dowels.