- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Spring Pin: Blue Mist, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Lamp (Ebony) Black,
Mint Julep, Shading Flesh, True
Ochre Summer Pin: Burnt Orange,
Buttermilk, Lamp (Ebony) Black,
Plantation Pine, Primary Blue, True
Ochre, True Red, Yellow Green Fall Pin: Antique Gold, Antique White, Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Emperor’s Gold, Plantation Pine, True Red Winter Pin: Blue Mist, Buttermilk, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Plantation Pine, Shading Flesh
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Ultra
Round, Series 7020, #4; Specialty: Maxine’s Oval Mop Goat Hair, Series 270, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Round
Scumbler, Series 2014, #4
- DecoArt Craft Twinkles: Crystal
- Krylon Matte Spray
- J.W. etc. Right Step Clear Varnish,
- Black Brooch: oval, (16-1453), two, square, (16-1454), two from Viking Woodcrafts
- Koh-I-Noor Black Radiograph Pen:
- 1. Use ultra round brush for all painting,
including basecoating unless otherwise instructed. Brush holds a tremendous amount of paint or wash while point is that of a liner to obtain great detailing. Use appropriate size mop as needed.
- 1. Lightly sand each pin in area to be
painted. Print out patterns; transfer outline.
- 2. For spring, summer, and winter pins,
apply two light coats Buttermilk within
outline, mopping between layers and
using wash mix for second coat. For
fall pin, apply two light coats Antique
White in same manner as other pins.
Let dry completely. Transfer basic
- 1. Lightly wash Mint Julep over basecoated area; mop to soften and blend. Repeat process. Use round scumbler to very subtly stipple Buttermilk clouds above and below nest.
- 2. Wash in nest with Burnt Umber; mop to soften. Repeat. With more Burnt Umber and a little less water fill inside of nest section against eggs. Base eggs Buttermilk. Use tip of ultra round brush, Burnt Umber, True Ochre, and Buttermilk to paint squiggly horizontal lines to represent branches and straws of nest. Use pen to reinforce a few black branches.
- 3. If needed base eggs again. Wash eggs with Blue Mist; lightly shade Burnt Umber or use round scumbler to speckle eggs. Pick up a little Buttermilk and lightly dot eggs.
- 4. Line outer stripe Shading Flesh. Use
pen to draw in checkerboard. Float light Lamp Black wash around sky area against checkerboard.
- 1. Mix Primary Blue + tch. of Buttermilk
for a pretty sky color. Wash over
basecoated area with sky mix; mop to
soften and blend. Repeat process.
- 2. Base poppies Buttermilk. Wash True Red on each poppy and buds, mopping as you go. Lightly wash again with Burnt Orange to define certain areas. Use round scumbler to stipple Lamp Black onto center of poppy closest to bottom. Lightly shade Lamp Black between largest
flowers; mop to soften. Wash Yellow
Green around outside of flowers and mop. Float Plantation Pine around outside of flowers. Use same color to
line stems and to add a few leaves.
- 3. Line border with pen. Use light Lamp
Black wash to float around inside edge of lined border; mop to soften. Use pen to add tiny dots inside poppies and buds then use ultra round to add a few True Ochre dots.
- 4. Base bees Lamp Black; add two True Ochre bands. Base wings Buttermilk.
- 1. Use Buttermilk to base pumpkins, gourd, and acorns. Wash pumpkins with Burnt Umber; mop to soften. Wash True Red along right side of largest pumpkin and wash Antique Gold along right side of smaller pumpkin. Wash Antique Gold along
top section of gourd and wash Plantation Pine along bottom section. Use ultra round and Burnt Umber to line pumpkin sections. Line Plantation Pine at top of gourd and Buttermilk on bottom.
- 2. Highlight pumpkins Buttermilk at top
left. Use brush mix of Burnt Umber and Lamp Black to shade between pumpkins and gourd and underneath each. Use same mix to float around each.
- 3. Float Burnt Umber around inside edge of oval. Use equal mix of Plantation Pine and Antique Gold to wash each acorn. Shade Lamp Black under caps. Wash caps Buttermilk. Dot Emperor’s Gold highlight at bottom area and dot Buttermilk on very bottom of each acorn.
Use pen to draw checkerboard. Add a row of tiny Emperor’s Gold dots around outer edges of checkerboard.
- 1. Wash sky area Blue Mist; mop to soften. Repeat. Add snowy Buttermilk wash on ground and mop to soften.
- 2. Base house Shading Flesh; repeat if
needed for solid coverage. Paint roof
and chimney Buttermilk. Float Lamp Black wash along bottom of house up against snow; mop to soften. Use pen to draw in windows. Base door Blue Mist. Very lightly shade Lamp Black along right side of door and on house under roof. Wash some Lamp Black smoke coming from chimney; mop to soften. Add tiny little Buttermilk icicles dripping from roof and randomly dot snowflakes.
- 3. Use tip of ultra round and Plantation
Pine to paint little pine trees using
short choppy horizontal strokes. Float
a little Lamp Black under each tree. Use pen to draw larger tree trunks and
- 4. Use light Lamp Black wash to float along inside edge of circle. Add a row
of Buttermilk dots around circle and
line large snowflakes.
- 1. Spray pins with several light varnish
coats. (Note: Be sure to spray varnish
as brushing on varnish prior to
spraying will smear design.) Apply
Crystal Craft Twinkles here and there
on snow of Winter Pin. Let dry. Apply a
coat of brush-on varnish to all pins.