Give Thanks Banner
- Muslin, 18-1/2”x18-1/2”
- Calico print fabric: backing, 18-1/2”x24-1/2”; red/orange, 12”x15”; orange, 10”x12”; yellow/orange, 7”x10”; assorted greens, 5”x6”, five; brown, 6”x8”; border squares, scraps
- DMC Color Infusions Memory Thread: Black (6020), Brown (6010), Olive (6080), Dark Green (6330)
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Black (310), Brown (801), Olive (3011), Dark Green (890)
- DMC Cream Quilting Thread
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Low-Loft Quilt Batting, 19”x25”
- Bone rings, 1”, two
- Needles: embroidery, sewing
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Water soluble fabric marker
- Fusible webbing, 1 yd.
scissors, ruler, pins, awl, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Use one strand of embroidery floss in color specified to couch Memory Thread in place throughout. Use awl to create small hole to pass Memory Thread ends through fabric to back of design. Use 1/4” seam allowance throughout.
- 1. Print out patterns. Use fabric marker to trace outline for each pumpkin, stem, and leaf on front of desired fabrics. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse webbing to back of fabrics. Cut out each piece along traced lines.
- 2. Using photo as guide, layer stems and pumpkins on muslin. Use iron to fuse in place.
- 3. Use fabric marker to trace vines, pumpkin section lines, and words on designs.
- 4. Use two strands of Black embroidery floss to blanket stitch around each pumpkin. Knot and trim ends.
- 5. Use two strands of Black embroidery floss and running stitch to create pumpkin section lines. Knot and trim ends.
- 6. Couch Brown Memory Thread in place to outline pumpkin stems and create vines using Brown embroidery floss. Knot and trim ends.
- 7. Using photo as guide, fuse leaves on pumpkins using iron.
- 8. Couch Olive Memory Thread around edges of some leaves using Olive embroidery floss. Couch Dark Green Memory Thread around remaining leaf edges using Dark Green embroidery floss. Knot and trim ends. Couch Black Memory Thread on “Give Thanks” saying using Black embroidery floss. Knot and trim ends.
- 9. Cut 108 assorted-print 1-1/2” squares for top and bottom border. Piece together three rows of 18 squares each for each border. Finger press seams; machine-sew along edges.
- 10. Machine-sew one pieced-border to top of muslin square and remaining border to bottom of square.
- 11. With right sides facing up, center completed pumpkin design over batting. Baste stitch in place. Trim away excess batting.
- 12. With right sides facing, pin backing to front pumpkin design. Stitch around edges, leaving 8” opening for turning. Trim corners and turn right side out. Stitch opening closed.
- 13. Edge quilt along borders, pumpkins, stems, and leaves on muslin.
- 14. Quilt simple diamond design along each border using Cream quilting thread. Knot and trim ends.
- 15. Remove basting threads. Sew bone ring to each top back corner to hang.