Gift Boutique: Purdy Birdy Apron
- White cotton fabric, 1 yd.
- Christmas print cotton fabric, 1 yd.
- Red cotton broadcloth, 2/3 yd.
- Green grosgrain ribbon, 1-1/2"-wide, 10 ft.
- Lime rickrack, 3 ft.
- Green button, 3/4" diameter
- Sewing needle
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Iron and pressing board
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
tape measure, straight pins
- Before you begin cutting and sewing, iron all of the fabric pieces.
- Cut a 23"x34" from white cotton fabric. Orient the pattern of the Christmas fabric before you cut it, keeping in mind that the 34" sides will be the top and bottom. Cut a 23"x34" rectangle from the Christmas fabric.
- Print and cut out pattern. Cut two matching bird shapes measuring 9” from bill to tail and 8" tall from the red cotton broadcloth.
- Pin the two birds together along the edges. Using the sewing machine and the red thread, sew the two birds together using a straight stitch with a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave a 2" opening. Turn the fabric inside out and iron flat. Use the sewing needle and red thread, to close the opening with a hidden ladder stitch.
- Give the bird an eye by sewing the green button on with the sewing needle and green thread. Be careful not to sew through both layers of fabric, so the back side of the thread will be hidden inside the bird.
- To create the bird pocket, pin the bottom edge of the bird from bill to tail onto the Christmas fabric 8” from the bottom and 8-1/2" from the side. Machine stitch the bird pocket along the bottom edge using red thread.
- To make the sash, cut an 82" length from the green ribbon, center it across the apron and pin it 3/4" from the top edge. Using green thread and the sewing machine, attach the ribbon to the apron with a simple topstitch 1/4" in from the edge of the ribbon. To make it secure, sew along the top edge of the ribbon. Stop 1/2" before the side of the fabric and turn the corner, sewing down across the short end of the ribbon. Turn the corner and sew all the way across the bottom edge of the ribbon, stopping 1/2" from the side of the fabric. Finally, turn the corner and sew back to where you started.
- To add the ribbon trim, pin the remaining green ribbon 2" from the bottom of the Christmas fabric. Attach the top edge of the ribbon to the fabric using a topstitch and green thread. Glue the rickrack to the center of the ribbon with the Fabri-Tac.
- Lay the Christmas fabric face down on the white cotton fabric, tucking the sash ends inside so they don't get sewn into the seam. Pin all the way around the edges. Machine stitch the edges together using the white thread, allowing for 1/4" seams. Leave a 2" opening in one side. Turn the apron right side out and iron the seams flat. Close the opening with a hidden ladder stitch.
- 1. To prevent fraying, paint the tips of
the grosgrain ribbon with clear nail