If the Shoe Fits Centerpiece
- Recycled high heel shoes
- Creative Paperclay Delight Air-Dry Modeling Compound
- White tissue paper
- Cardstock, scrap
- Orange ribbon, 12” length
- Black decorative shoe clips, one pair
- Green rhinestone buttons, two
- Martha Stewart Crafts Acrylic Craft Paints: Beetle Black, Carrot, Green Olive, Jacaranda; Sour Apple Glitter Paint
- Martha Stewart Crafts: Onyx Large Glitter, Charoite Fine Glitter
- Clay acrylic roller
- Loew-Cornell American Painter Paintbrushes: Series 4350 Liner 10/0; Series 4300 Shader #4, 12; Series 4000 Round #2; Series 4500 Wash 3/4”
- Adhesives: Plaid Matte Mod Podge, glue gun and sticks
stylus, graphite paper, tracing paper, masking tape, scissors, newspaper (to cover work surface), damp cloth, manila folder
- Wipe shoes, including soles, clean with damp cloth. If toe of shoe is soft, stuff with wadded tissue paper for added stability.
- Print out patterns. Trace batwing tongue on cardstock; cut out two tongues. Use stylus to score along dotted lines and carefully crease. Basecoat both sides of tongues Beetle Black. Use paintbrush handle to roll center tip of tongues forward. Use masking tape to adhere tongues into shoes.
- On clean work surface, use acrylic roller to roll clay to cover toe of shoe. Press clay into toe, covering entire toe to edge of sole. Use water on fingers to taper edges of material on sides of shoes. Place golf-ball amount of clay on tip of toe; mold into curled toe shape. Use wet fingers to blend and smooth clay. Repeat process for other shoe. Let shoes dry overnight.
- Tear strips of tissue paper. Use wash brush to apply Mod Podge to shoe in small sections. Apply tissue paper strips on shoes, covering inside and out. Avoid covering tongues with tissue, but cover masking tape area and where clay meets shoe. Use wash brush and Modge Podge to smooth out wrinkles and seal tissue paper. Let dry.
- Use appropriate-size brush to basecoat shoes as follows: heels Carrot; toes and soles Beetle Black; small areas above heel and inside of shoes Green Olive; sides Jacaranda. Let dry. Paint stripes on heels Beetle Black using #4 shader. Let dry. (Note: Use #2 round to get into small areas if needed.) Let dry.
- Apply Mod Podge on one side of shoe; sprinkle with Charoite glitter. Shake off excess glitter and return to bottle. Apply Mod Podge on other side of shoe; sprinkle with Charoite glitter. Repeat process to apply glitter onto other shoe. Let dry.
- Apply Mod Podge to toe and tongue area on shoe; sprinkle with Onyx glitter. Shake off excess glitter and return to bottle. Repeat process to apply glitter onto other shoe. Let dry.
- Apply Sour Apple Glitter paint on green areas on shoes. Let dry. Reapply paint as needed, allowing drying time between coats. Let dry.
- Thin Beetle Black to inky consistency. Freehand draw spider webs on green area on back of shoes using liner. Let dry.
- Cut ribbon length in half. Hot glue ribbon over each toe; adhere ends on bottom of shoes. Hot glue rhinestone buttons to center of shoe clips; adhere shoe clips on center of ribbon. Let dry.
- 1. When applying glitter, work over a manila file folder to easily return excess back into bottle.