Witchy Potion Bottles
- Glass bottles with corks, five (Designer purchased at AC Moore)
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey White Oven-Bake Clay
- White craft wire, 20-gauge
- Plaid FolkArt Enamels: Evergreen, Fresh Foliage, Licorice, Perfect Purple, Vivid Orange, Wicker White
- Plaid FolkArt Extreme Glitter: Black, Hologram, Orange, Purple
- Loew-Cornell American Painter Paintbrushes: Series 4350 Liner 10/0; Series 4300 Shader #4, 8, 12; Series 4400 Angular 1/4”; Series 4000 Round #0, 3; Series 4500 Wash 3/4”
- Polyform Sculpey: Essential Tool Kit, Clay Conditioning Machine
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- Craft glue
stylus, old toothbrush, graphite paper, tracing paper, scissors, craft knife, rubbing alcohol, cosmetic-wedge sponge, ruler, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Remove corks from bottles and set aside. Wipe bottles clean with rubbing alcohol. Basecoat bottles Wicker White using cosmetic-wedge sponge. Let dry. Use appropriate-size shader to paint bottles as follows: black areas Licorice, green areas Fresh Foliage + touch of Wicker White, orange areas Vivid Orange + touch of Wicker White, purple areas Perfect Purple + touch of Wicker White. (Note: Leave decorative trim areas white.) Let dry.
- Print out patterns. Cut bat pattern from cardstock scrap. Transfer and cut label patterns from tracing paper.
- For each bottle topper, condition White clay by running through Clay Conditioning Machine on widest setting.
- For bat, roll 2” clay ball and divide in half. Form one half into egg shape and pinch ears into place. Roll other half on work surface to 3/16” thickness. Position wing pattern on clay and cut out using craft knife. Flip pattern over; cut opposite wing. Carefully press wings onto sides of body.
- For toad, roll 3/4” clay ball into wedge shape. For eye sockets, roll 1/3” clay ball; use craft knife to cut in half. Press sockets on top of head. Use needle tool to indent mouth and nostrils and stylus to indent cheeks. Roll tiny clay balls for warts. Press warts on toad; set some aside for label.
- For snake, roll 1-1/4” clay ball into 13”-long log. Form log into coiled circle approximately 1-1/2”-wide; continue coiling clay to form body leaving small portion on end for head. Form head by flattening and bending clay over coils.
- For witch’s hat, roll 1” clay ball and form into cone shape, curling tip as shown. Flatten base on work surface; use fingers to pinch brim.
- For moon, roll 3/4” clay ball into 1-1/4”-long log. Roll ends to taper and bend into crescent moon shape.
- Cut five 2”-long lengths of wire. Insert wire end lengths into bottom of clay toppers,
- For labels, condition remaining clay by running through Clay Conditioning Machine on medium setting. Roll clay to approximately 1/8” thickness. Position label patterns on top of clay sheet; use craft knife to cut around patterns. Position bottles on sides on parchment-lined baking sheet; press labels on bottle sides. Use fingers to gently round edges of labels.
- For eyes, use pattern as guide to roll two tiny clay balls for bat, snake, and toad. Roll two more very tiny clay balls for pupils for each set of eyes. Press pupils on eyes and position eyes on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake clay in oven following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool. Do not remove labels from bottles.
- On covered work surface, use appropriate-size brush to apply Extreme Glitter to main area on bottles as follows: Black over black areas, Hologram over green areas, Orange over orange areas, and Purple over purple areas. Let dry. Use appropriate-size brushes to basecoat labels as follows: orange label Vivid Orange + touch of Wicker White, green labels Fresh Foliage + touch of Wicker White, purple label Perfect Purple + touch of Wicker White. Let dry.
- Transfer lettering and designs onto labels. Basecoat straw on broom and stars (2:1) mixture of Vivid Orange + Wicker White using round brush. Paint broom handle Fresh Foliage. Paint details on broom, outline on stars and labels, and lettering with slightly thinned Licorice and liner. Let dry.
- Basecoat green areas on toad and snake Fresh Foliage + touch of Wicker White. Load toothbrush with thinned Evergreen; spatter snake. Let dry. Paint vertical stripes on snake Perfect Purple using liner. Let dry. Basecoat bat Licorice. Basecoat witch’s hat (2:1) mixture of Perfect Purple + Wicker White. Let dry. Basecoat hatband Fresh Foliage + touch of Wicker White using #4 shader; float Perfect Purple shading above and below hatband using angular shader. Let dry. Add Vivid Orange dots to hatband. Basecoat moon Vivid Orange + touch of Wicker White. Let dry. Apply Hologram glitter onto moon. Let all pieces dry.
- Basecoat all eyes Wicker White. Let dry. Adhere eyes onto faces. Let dry. Dot pupils Licorice using end of paintbrush handle.
- Transfer bat eyes onto top section of bottle. Use appropriate-size brush and Fresh Foliage + touch of Wicker White to basecoat warts on label, bat eyes on bottle, and trim on bottles. Let dry. Dot Licorice pupils on bat eyes using stylus. Add detail line between eyes using thinned Licorice and liner. Let dry.
- Basecoat orange trim Vivid Orange + touch of Wicker White; when dry, paint stripes Perfect Plum + touch of Wicker White using #4 shader.
- Adhere warts on label. Apply glue to ends of wires; insert into corks. When dry, place toppers on appropriate bottles.