Dyed Birdhouse & Berries
- Unfinished wooden birdhouse with rope hanger, 9-1/2”x6”
- Paper Pizzazz Fall Leaves Paper, 12”x12”
- Cardstock, 8-1/2”x11”, two
- Grapevine garland
- Wooden beads, 10.5mm, 10
- Wire, 36” length
- Miniature bird
- Rit Liquid Dyes: Scarlet, Tangerine, Golden Yellow, Apple Green
- Plaid Gloss Mod Podge
- Scallop decorative-edge scissors
- Wire cutters
- Adhesives: craft glue, double-sided foam tape
plastic container, plastic tablecloth, plastic gloves, measuring cup and spoons, spoon, newspaper (to cover work surface), scissors, soft cloth, sandpaper, paintbrush or foam brush
- Lightly sand entire surface of birdhouse. Wipe with soft cloth to remove dust.
- Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth. Heat 1/2 cup water in microwave until very hot (at least 140ºF) in plastic container. Add 1 Tbsp. Tangerine dye, 1 tsp. Sunshine Orange dye, and 1 tsp. Scarlet dye in hot water. Stir well. Add 10 wooden beads to dye bath. Let set in dye bath for 15 minutes.
- While wooden beads are soaking, dye-stain birdhouse including roof by brushing dye around trim and evenly across wood grain. (Note: Dye should be hot while being applied. Reheat in microwave if needed.)
- Remove beads from dye bath. Set beads and birdhouse aside on newspaper. Discard leftover dye and rinse plastic container.
- Repeat Step 2 with 1 Tbsp. Apple Green to make green dye bath. Carefully stain trim on bottom of birdhouse. See Photo 1.
- Cut leaf shapes from Fall Leaves paper to cover entire roof of birdhouse. Trim each leaf on lower edge of roof with scallop-edge scissors. See Photo 2 and Photo 3. Adhere leaves onto roof, overlapping edges, using Mod Podge. Smooth air bubbles with fingers. Apply thin layer of Mod Podge over entire roof and sides of birdhouse to seal. Let dry.
- Adhere remaining leaf shapes from Fall Leaves paper to cardstock using Mod Podge. Apply thin layer of Mod Podge over cardstock leaves. Let dry. Detail cut leaf shapes.
- Thread 3” lengths of wire through dyed beads. Twist wire ends around bead to secure, wrapping entire length. See Photo 4. Wrap several lengths of grapevine around bottom of birdhouse. Secure grapevine ends with wire. Attach wooden beads to grapevine by wrapping wire lengths around garland; twist ends together.
- Adhere bird into hole on birdhouse. Adhere cardstock leaves on roof of birdhouse, overlapping edges, using foam tape. Adhere cardstock leaves onto bottom of birdhouse and around grapevine as desired.
- 1. Use Rit Liquid Dyes to dye wooden surfaces for a quick-and-easy way to basecoat plywood, cedar, and other unfinished woods.