Door Banner Series: Fall
- Roc-Lon Fabric, 12-1/2”x21-1/2”
- Wooden dowel, 3/4” diameter, 14” length
- Wooden dowel caps, 1-1/4”, two
- Jute twine, 1 yd.
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Creative Arts Lifestyle Stencils: Fall Leaves (5114), Inspirational Scrolls (5117)
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7550 Wash 3/4”; Series 7300 Angular Shader 1/2”; Series 247 Crescent 3/8”; Series 7050 Script 10/0, #2; Series 7000C Round #2; Series 410 Deerfoot 1/8”; Series 7100 Stroke 1/8”; Series 7500 Filbert #6; Series 270 Maxine’s Magic Mop 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Avocado Dip, Bittersweet Chocolate, Bleached Sand, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Canyon Orange, Lamp Black, Plantation Pine, Tangerine, Traditional Raw Sienna, True Ochre
- Small sea sponge
- DecoArt Americana Duraclear Matte Varnish
scissors, ruler, pencil, masking tape, stylus, paper towels, water basin, tracing paper, graphite paper, cosmetic wedge sponge, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Unless specific brush is noted in instructions, use best brush available to fit area painting. When floating colors for shading or highlighting, use mop brush to soften floats.
- 1. For banner, measure and cut 12-1/2”x21-1/2” fabric rectangle. Position rectangle with wrong side facing up on work surface. Fold back fabric on top and bottom edges 1/2” to center; press. Fold top edge again 1-1/2”; press. (Note: The top edge will form casing for dowel to run through.) Use sewing machine and white thread to sew along folded top and bottom edges.
- 2. Print out patterns. Trace patterns onto tracing paper.
- 3. Basecoat both sides of each fabric rectangle with two coats of Beached Sand. Let dry.
- 4. Measure 9” from top and mark using pencil. Measure another 1” down and mark. Measure 3-1/2” down again and mark, leaving about 4” area at bottom. On top 9” section, measure from left side over and mark at 9”, making 9” square at top with 3-1/2”x9” rectangle next to square.
- 5. Basecoat 9” square Bittersweet Chocolate. Basecoat center section Canyon Orange; when dry, dry sponge section Burnt Sienna using small sea sponge. Basecoat bottom 4” section Avocado Dip. Let dry.
- 6. Paint 1” white section in Lamp Black checks using #6 shader. Measure down 1/2” and draw light pencil line to keep checks straight and uniform. Let dry.
- 7. Use graphite paper to trace main pattern elements onto each section.
- 8. Basecoat pumpkins Canyon Orange and stems Traditional Raw Sienna. Let dry. Trace segment lines on pumpkins. (Note: Once you start shading, tracing lines tend to disappear.) Use 10/0 script and thinned Burnt Umber to go over all lines. Paint center highlights Tangerine using crescent brushes and drybrush technique. Paint back highlights Tangerine using flat or angular shader. Deepen shading around stems and where pumpkins overlap with Burnt Umber. Let dry.
- 9. Shade stems Burnt Umber and highlight True Ochre. Add thinned Lamp Black detail lines using 10/0 script liner. Let dry.
- 10. Shade underneath pumpkins with wide sideload of Lamp Black. Wet area below pumpkins; use chisel edge of brush with Lamp Black and Burnt Umber. Let dry.
- 11. Frame pumpkins by adding Burnt Umber and Traditional Raw Sienna vines around perimeter of section. Highlight randomly with True Ochre. Let dry. For leaves, triple load #6 filbert with Plantation Pine, Avocado Dip, and Burnt Sienna. Lay loaded brush on surface and pull up while twisting onto chisel point, creating one-stroke leaf. Let dry. Dot berries Canyon Orange using handle on paintbrush. Let dry. Shade bottom of berries Burnt Sienna and highlight Tangerine. Let dry.
- 12. Paint sunflower stems with double-load Plantation Pine and Avocado Dip using #2 script liner. Basecoat sunflower leaves Avocado Dip and shade Plantation Pine. Add Plantation Pine veins using 10/0 script liner. Let dry. Basecoat sunflowers True Ochre and shade Burnt Sienna. Stipple sunflower centers Traditional Raw Sienna using deerfoot; add Bittersweet Chocolate shading. Let dry. Paint grass at base of sunflowers Plantation Pine and Avocado Dip using #2 script liner.
- 13. Paint crow on sunflower stems Lamp Black. Highlight wing, top of head, and tail with side-loaded float of Unbleached Sand. Dot eye True Ochre; dot center Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 14. Transfer “Fall” lettering onto orange section. Paint lettering Bittersweet Chocolate using 1/8” stroke brush. Let dry. (Note: For best results, thin paint to ink consistency. Paint strokes at same angle throughout.) Add thin lines of Burnt Sienna to shadow on left side of each letter. Let dry.
- 15. Use Inspirational Scrolls stencil to stencil random designs on bottom section using mixture of Avocado Dip and Unbleached Sand. Let dry. Use Fall Leaves stencil to randomly stencil leaves on bottom section Plantation Pine, Canyon Orange, True Ochre, and Burnt Sienna. Let dry. Drybrush highlights on leaves in yellow and oranges on palette. Add Bittersweet Chocolate stems and vein lines on leaves using 10/0 script liner. Let dry.
- 16. Add squiggly thinned Lamp Black double lines around each section using 10/0 script liner. Using photo as guide, outline design elements Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 17. Paint wooden dowel Avocado Dip and dowel caps Burnt Sienna. Let dry.
- 1. Apply varnish on dowel, dowel caps, and banner. Insert dowel into pocket and attach dowel caps to either end. Attach jute twine around ends of dowel to hang.
- 1. When masking off sections on banner, paint along edge of tape using same color as basecoated area underneath tape. Let dry and then brush on contrasting color. Painting with basecoat color first will seal the edge of the tape ensuring a clean, finished line.