Sheep in the Meadow
- Freshly fallen maple leaf
- Wooden frame with two glass panes
- Hanger of choice
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique White, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Yellow, Citron Green, Georgia Clay, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green, Heritage Brick, Hi-Lite Flesh, Milk Chocolate, Plantation Pine, Raw Sienna, Soft Black, Titanium White, Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue, Wisteria
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes: Series 244 Angular Bristle 1/4”; Series JS Liner 10/0; Series 7350C Liner 18/0; Series 7000 Round #1; Series 7300 Shader #2, 4, 6
- DecoArt: Americana Glazing Medium, Duraclear Matte Varnish, Acrylic Gesso
- Adhesives: hot glue gun and sticks, white tacky glue
pencil, ruler, transfer paper, stylus, tracing paper, hammer, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. For Steps 3-6, refer to Step 1 on Worksheet. For Steps 7-8, refer to Step 2 on Worksheet. For Steps 9-10, refer to Step 3 on Worksheet.
- 1. Gather leaves that have just fallen. Soak leaves in glycerin for several hours or overnight. Let dry. Paint both sides of leaf with two coats of gesso. Let dry.
- 2. Print out patterns. Transfer pattern onto leaf. Mark horizon approximately on leaf using photo as guide.
- 3. Basecoat ground area Antique White using #6 shader. Let dry. Apply Glazing Medium and pick up Raw Sienna; laying brush flat, shade area. With dirty brush pick up Burnt Umber and repeat. Add Plantation Pine highlights randomly. Deepen horizon area Burnt Umber.
- 4. Paint sky above ground area Williamsburg Blue using #6 shader. Use dirty brush and pick up Winter Blue and glazing medium; shade across area using flat edge of brush. Add Wisteria and Hi-Lite Flesh following same technique.
- 5. Add Titanium White clouds using 1/4” angular by applying paint on toe of brush and glazing medium on heel. Pounce brush on paper towel, then dab clouds in irregular pattern across bottom area of sky. Let dry. Repeat to highlight.
- 6. Paint distant trees Hauser Medium Green using 1/4” angular. Let dry. Use dirty brush to add Hauser Light Green and Citron Green highlights randomly. Let dry.
- 7. Paint tree leaves Cadmium Yellow, Georgia Clay, and Heritage Brick using 1/4” angular. Let dry between each color application.
- 8. Paint tall grass in variety of greens and browns on palette using JS liner and 18/0 liner. Let dry. Darken area at base of grass with thinned browns and greens on palette. Let dry.
- 9. Transfer house pattern. Basecoat house Milk Chocolate using #4 shader. Shade house Burnt Umber. Let dry. Paint windows and roof Soft Black using #2 shader. Paint chimney smoke mixture of Titanium White and Wisteria using liner. Let dry.
- 10. Paint sheep Titanium White using #1 round. Shade sheep brush mix of Soft Black and Titanium White. Let dry.
- 11. Apply several thin coats of varnish. Let dry.
- 12. Mount leaf inside glass panes; adhere using small dot of glue. Secure glass panes in frame using hot glue. Attach hanger on back of frame.
- 1. If glycerin is not available, press leaf in book and apply clear sealer. Follow painting instructions as noted above.