Denim Summer Patches
- DecoArt SoSoft Fabric Acrylics:
Antique Gold, Baby Pink Deep,
Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Orange,
Canary Yellow, Hauser Light Green,
Lavender, Prussian Blue, Spruce
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #4,
#6; Round, Series 2250, #3; Liner,
Series R2595, #10/0; Soft Grip: Fitch Deerfoot, Series SG393, 1/8”
- DecoArt SoSoft Fabric Medium:
Transparent Medium; Undercoat
- Duncan Aleene’s: Patch & Appliqué
Glue; Tack-It Over & Over Temporary
- Iron-on Rhinestones: Pink
- Old jean scraps
- Sweater, sweatshirt or desired garment
- 1. Use dry or damp brushes as fabric paint should not be thinned with water. Use Transparent Medium to float or thin paint for washes and line-work. Remove mistakes on areas intended to be left unpainted immediately with wet brush and
soap; if mistake is not completely removed, basecoat again.
- 2. Wash all fabrics and dry; do not use
fabric softener or dryer sheets. Press
with iron. Follow instructions to make
purse. Use remaining jean scraps to cut the following patches: 3-1/2” square, 3-1/2”x4-1/2” square, and 4”x6-1/4” rectangle. (Note: Cut patches straight with grain and not on bias for ease in fraying.) Fray each side of patch to 1/4”. (Note: Use sewing needle and tweezers if needed to pull threads one at a time.) Use sewing machine to baste patches 1/8” within frayed edges.
- 3. Print out patterns; transfer basic details onto patches. Use Undercoat White to under paint bee’s bodies, butterfly’s wings, flower petals, banners, and coin.
- 1. Shading and highlighting is done using wet-into-wet blending technique using dirty brush method unless otherwise noted: basecoat area and wipe brush on dry paper towel, pick up a small amount of shading or highlighting color on dirty brush, and blend into wet basecoated area. If too much color is applied, stop and remove excess with clean brush. (Note: A small amount of fabric paint goes a long way.)
Purple Cone Flowers
- 1. Base petals White; use round brush to blend Baby Pink Deep onto petals leaving highlighted areas white. Shade
with touches of Lavender. Strengthen
highlights with White as needed. Base
centers Burnt Sienna; shade with tiny
amount of Prussian Blue. Use fitch
deerfoot and Cadmium Orange to highlight top. Let dry and repeat. Use
stylus to add Canary Yellow dip-dots.
Use liner and fresh Prussian Blue to
outline petals and paint veins.
Leaves and Stems
- 1. Use shaders to base leaves Hauser Lt. Green; shade with mix of Spruce Green + tch. of Prussian Blue. Let dry. Use round brush to dry brush Canary Yellow highlights. Use liner to base stems Spruce Green; shade Prussian Blue. Let dry. Dry brush highlights Hauser Lt. Green. Use liner and fresh Prussian Blue to outline.
- 1. Use #6 shader and round brush to base wings Canary Yellow; shade Antique Gold and highlight wing edges White. Let dry. Use round brush to base body Prussian Blue; highlight with touch of White. Use liner and fresh Prussian Blue to outline and paint fine detailing. Let dry. Use Patch & Appliqué Glue to adhere four rhinestones to wings.
- 1. Use round brush to base body Canary
Yellow; highlight center White and shade edges with a touch of Antique Gold. Paint head Prussian Blue. Let dry. Add White comma stroke highlight to head. Wet wings with Transparent Medium and paint White. Let dry. Use liner and fresh Prussian Blue to outline and add fine detailing.
Banners and Coin
- 1. Use shaders and round brush to base
Canary Yellow; highlight White and
shade Antique Gold. Let dry. Transfer
lettering. Use liner and fresh Prussian
Blue to outline and add lettering.
- 1. To apply patches as a nonpermanent
appliqué, use Tack-It Over & Over following manufacturer’s directions. For permanent application, use Patch & Appliqué Glue following manufacturer’s
directions or sew in place along basted edges. Allow paint to cure following manufacturer’s directions before laundering. Machine wash on gentle cycle with mild soap.