Rooster Calendar Topper & Kitchen Accessories
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Asphaltum, Avocado, Bleached Sand, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow, Calico Red, Fawn, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Buttermilk, Midnite Green, Olive Green, Rookwood Red, Saffron Yellow, Snow (Titanium) White, Taffy Cream, Traditional Burnt Umber
- Brushes: Papillon Specialty (from the Artist’s Club): Highlighter, 1/2”
- Brushes: Daler-Rowney Robert Simmons, Simply Simmons: Angle Shader, 3/8”, 1/2”; Liner, #10/0; Round, #5; Filbert, #8; Flat Shader, #8, #12
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon: Debbie Mitchell Stippler, Series DM, 1/2”; Wash/Glaze, Series, 7550, 1”; Script Liner, Series 7050, #1
- Brushes: Plaid FolkArt One Stroke: Flat, #12; Scruffy, 1/4”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- Large Wooden Calendar Holder
(#161643), 14”x17-1/2” from Painters Paradise
- Note Holder with Clothespin (#100592) from Cabin Crafters
- White ceramic salt and pepper
- Checker stencil with 1/2” squares
- Super Film ultra fine grain sanding film
- 1. For calendar, use slip-slap technique,
Calico Red and Lamp Black to base entire surface (omitting calendar holder and screws); while wet, sponge
entire surface using same colors. Let dry. Sand and wipe dust. Using photo as guide, tape off a 5-1/2”x6” area at center top of calendar; base with brush mix of Fawn and Bleached Sand.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto calendar and calendar holder.
- 3. Base calendar holder Calico Red; use Lamp Black to shade edges and lightly over surface. Base hearts Lamp Black; highlight Snow White. Use script liner and Snow White to paint lettering.
- 1. Rooster: Base body Bleached Sand. Base tail feathers Avocado then use chisel edge of #12 flat and Snow White to blend ends. Base head and wattle Calico Red. Dry brush head and wattle with Cadmium Yellow; shade Lamp Black. Use toe of angle shader to shade spot on bottom of body with washy Burnt Sienna and Cadmium Yellow. Use script liner and brush mix of Lt. Buttermilk and Snow White to stroke feathers over body. Base beak Cadmium Yellow; use Lamp Black to paint separation line and to shade. Paint eye Lamp Black; add tiny Snow White highlight. Outline eye with thinned Cadmium Yellow. Paint feet Cadmium Yellow. Shade Asphaltum behind entire rooster, omitting tail feathers.
- 2. Use highlighter to dry brush grassy area under rooster Avocado; dry brush Lt. Buttermilk highlight. Use 1/2” angle shader and Fawn to shade around edges of square and along top of grassy area. Use #10/0 liner and thinned Avocado to stroke grass lines. Use script liner and Lt. Buttermilk to paint border.
- 3. Sunflowers: Base petals with brush mix of Saffron Yellow and Cadmium Yellow. Shade Traditional Burnt Umber around flower center. Use scruffy brush to dry brush center with Burnt Sienna and Lamp Black. Use same brush to dry brush Lt. Buttermilk highlight around center. Use 1/2” angle shader to highlight petal tips Lt. Buttermilk. Use small end of stylus to dot Traditional Burnt Umber and Snow White around bottom of flower center.
- 4. Leaves: Use 1/2” angle shader to base
Avocado; shade center Midnite Green. Use Taffy Cream to lightly highlight leaves. Use liner and Olive Green to paint center vein and vein lines.
- 5. Accent Leaves and Vines: Use round brush and thinned Avocado to paint vines and smaller leaves.
- 6. Detailing: Tape off 1” border along
sides and bottom of calendar and 1-1/4” border at top. Stipple checks Snow White. Remove tape. Shade Lamp Black along outer edges of entire calendar. Use stylus to randomly dot Snow White accents.
Recipe Card Holder
- 1. Base front Lt. Buttermilk. Transfer
flowers and leaves; paint each in same manner as “Calendar”. Shade Midnite Green on leaves behind petals. Use script liner and Avocado to paint vines and #8 flat shader for smaller leaves.
- 2. Use Lamp Black to base side edges and entire back. Line Rookwood Red around front edging. Shade Burnt Sienna along front edges, and around flowers and leaves. Use #12 flat shader and Snow White to paint checked border along side edges. Use script liner to paint loose Snow White outline inside front edges; randomly dot accents.
Salt and Pepper Shakers
- 1. Tape off a 1”-wide border at top and
3/4”-wide border, 3/4” below top. Base
borders Lamp Black. Line Calico Red along top and bottom edges. For leaves, use #8 flat shader and Avocado. Use script liner to paint loose Snow White outline within black border edges; add lettering and random dots.
- 1. Apply several varnish coats over painted areas.