Kitchen Panty Rooster Chair Pad & Rug
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics: Cherry Red, Dark Chocolate, Deep Burgundy, French Vanilla, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Buttermilk, Traditional Raw Sienna;
SoSoft Fabric Acrylics: Antique Gold, Avocado Green, Brown, Crimson, Ivory, Hauser Light Green, Lamp Black, Pine Green, Red Pepper
- Brushes: Flat wash, 1”; Flat, #6; Flat, 1/4”; Round, #6; Lettering brush, 3/8”; Stencil brush; Liner
- DecoArt Staining/Antiquing Medium
- Tavern sign (5”x18”); round placemat (used as chair pad); kitchen rug
- 1. Use flat wash to base entire sign French Vanilla. Let dry. Sand smooth and wipe dust. Use sea sponge to randomly sponge Lt. Buttermilk and Traditional Raw Sienna; let dry and sand smooth.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto sign. Use #6 flat and Dk. Chocolate to shade along left and lower side of all elements. Let dry and sand thoroughly removing some paint.
- 1. Rooster: Use #6 flat to base roosters
Lt. Buttermilk and 1/4” flat to base
wattles Deep Burgundy; use round brush to base beaks and feet Traditional Raw Sienna, and tail feathers with Hauser Lt. Green and Hauser Med. Green. Use #6 flat and Traditional Raw Sienna to shade
feathers as shown.
- 2. Lettering: Use #6 flat to base letters
Cherry Red; shade lower third of each
letter Deep Burgundy.
- 3. Finishing: Use sanding block to sand heavily; wipe dust. Dot eyes Lt. Buttermilk and pupils Lamp Black. Use equal mix of staining medium + Dk. Chocolate and flat wash or dry cloth to wipe stain over entire sign; wipe immediately with clean dry cloth to remove stain leaving stain darker in
corners. Repeat if desired to achieve
desired shade. Let dry thoroughly. Use black fine-line permanent marker to outline and add detailing.
Chair Pad and Rug
- 1. Use fabric acrylics and follow same
instructions for chair pad and rug. (Note: Enlarge rooster pattern as desired or free-hand pattern onto surfaces; it is recommended to use mylar or transparency sheets to trace patterns to prevent poking holes through transfer paper while transferring patterns.)
- 2. (Note: Use stencil brush to “scrub”
appropriate color paints onto surface;
shading and highlighting are done using 3/8” lettering brush.) Paint body Ivory. Base crown and wattle Red Pepper; shade Crimson. Paint beak and legs Antique Gold. Use Brown to shade beak, around feathers and wattle. Base tail Avocado Green; shade Pine Green and highlight Hauser Lt. Green. Use liner to add additional Ivory highlight strokes. Use handle end of brush to dot eye Ivory; let dry. Shade Brown along left side. Use smaller paintbrush handle to dot pupil Lamp Black. Use liner and inky consistency Lamp Black to outline and to add detailing.
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s directions to cure and wash items.
- 1. This design is easily transferable to create a complete kitchen ensemble. Make
matching placemats, curtains, dish towels, and more.