Delicate Summer Violets
- DecoArt Traditions Artist Acrylics:
Hansa Yellow, Quinacidone Violet,
Ultramarine Blue, Warm White,
- Brushes: DecoArt Traditions Artist: Filbert, Series JAB23, #4; Chisel Blender, Series JAB11, #4
- Other brushes: angular, 1/4” or 3/4”; liner, #3; glaze/wash, 1”; mop: small (#0 or #1), large
- DecoArt Traditions Artist Mediums:
Glazing Medium; Extender &
- Glass Votive Candle Lamps with frosted shade from Candle-licious
- 1. Rinse shade with vinegar and water; dry thoroughly. Tint glass with mix of Ultramarine Blue + Quinacidone Violet
for desired color. Dress glaze/wash
with Extender and blot excess; dress
brush with violet mix and apply to
bottom of shade working half way up using a casual slip-slap motion. Use
dry mop to soften color, moving some
color up towards top of shade, leaving
shade lighter at top. (Note: If color
appears too heavy, wipe excess with
paper towel and soften again.) Force
dry with blow drier.
- 2. Print out pattern. Secure pattern to inside of shade with tape.
- 1. Undercoat violets and leaves Warm White.
- 1. Apply very thin coat of Extender on
flower and leaves; remove excess with
paper towel. Use filbert, Light Red
Violet mix and Light Blue Violet mix
to base flowers. Use chisel blender
to base leaves Light Green mix. Keep
texture to minimum. Force dry. Repeat
for fairly opaque basecoat.
Step 3: Shading
- 1. Apply thin coat of Extender on flowers and leaves. Use Dark Red Violet mix and Dark Blue Violet mix to shade flowers and Dark Green mix to shade leaves as shown on worksheet; soften with small mop brush. Force dry and repeat. Using chisel edge of brush, pick up very small amount of Light Green mix for center vein on leaves.
Step 4: Highlighting
- 1. Apply thin coat of Extender on flower
and leaves. Brush mix Warm White with a little of base color of flower and leaves and apply in light areas; soften with mop. Force dry and repeat.
Step 5: Detailing
- 1. Mix Yellow Oxide with a little Quinacidone Violet for a red orange
color; dot center of violets. Use liner
and brush mix of Dark Blue Violet mix + more Ultramarine Blue to add fine lines at bottom of largest petals as indicated on pattern. Use liner and Warm White to add strokes at each side of center. Add tints of violet colors to leaves.
- 2. For line work around crosshatch lines,
crosshatch lines, and filler flowers use
liner and Dark Red Violet mix; thin
paint with water or Extender then pick
up a little Glaze Medium. Use Warm
White to stroke line work to outside
of violet line work and to add very
thin lines along crosshatch lines; dot
center of crosshatch lines.
- 1. Apply equal mix of Glaze Medium +
water over entire surface. Let dry and