Coastal Seaside Grouping
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Admiral Blue, Antique Mauve,
Avocado, Baby Blue, Berry Red,
Buttermilk, Celery Green, Charcoal
Grey, Colonial Green, Dark
Chocolate, Hauser Light Green, Khaki Tan, Lamp (Ebony) Black,
Peaches ‘n Cream, Pumpkin, Royal Fuchsia, Slate Grey, Snow (Titanium) White, Teal Green, Ultra
Blue Deep, Yellow Ochre
- Brushes: Dynasty Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #2, #6, #8, #12; Angular, 1/8”, 1/4”, 1/2”, 3/4”; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Liner, #10/0; Round, #1, #4
- DecoArt: Brush ‘n Blend Medium
Extender; Acrylic Gesso
- 3M Heavy Duty Double-Stick Mounting Tape
- Plastic sawtooth adhesive hangers,
- Fredrix: Canvas: 1/2”x4”x5”,
1/2”x6”x6”; Canvas Panels: two,
- 1. Print out patterns; transfer horizon, water, and sand lines as needed.
- 1. Use brush that best fi ts area being
painted unless otherwise specified.
- 1. Mix A = Dk. Chocolate + Ultra Blue Deep (2:3)
Large Main Panel
- 1. Sand: Base with equal mix of Buttermilk + Snow White.
- 2. Sky: Brush extender over sky area. Use #12 shader to blend Ultra Blue Deep across top of sky, then working towards horizon, blend in Baby Blue, thinning paint along the way through extender. While wet; stroke Snow White clouds, pulling up some blue for shading. When extender is almost dry, add lightest clouds towards top. Allow to dry. Very lightly slip-slap Antique Mauve towards bottom of clouds.
- 3. Water: Brush extender over water area.
Starting at horizon line, stroke Admiral
Blue across water, then working down
blend in area of Baby Blue, Teal Green,
Colonial Green, and fi nally with mix of
Hauser Lt. Green + Snow White (2:1).
Use 1/4” shader to add Admiral Blue
wave lines in background then add Teal
Green + tch. of Admiral Blue wave lines
- 4. Sailboats: Transfer patterns; undercoat with gesso. Base sails and hulls Snow White. Shade sails with Mix A. Shade hull on right Khaki Tan and hull on left Baby Blue. Line mast with Snow White and over-stroke with Mix A.
- 5. Waves: Use 1/8” shader to line Snow
White waves in background. Add Snow White wave caps over lines as shown: load #1 round with water and pat some out onto paper towel, then load brush with Snow White and blend into brush, dip brush into Snow White again; holding brush horizontally start wave by touching tip onto canvas at beginning of cap, then apply pressure to brush while twisting forward and pulling to right. Let up on pressure at end of wave and bring tip up off canvas. (Note: Use this technique to paint all white caps in project.) Use #4 round to brush in thinned Snow White foreground.
- 6. Shoreline: Use 3/4” angular and mix of
Teal Green + Hauser Lt. Green + Snow
White (1:3:2) to add wet shoreline. Use same mix to lightly shade and Snow White to highlight. Use #1 round to lightly add foam Snow White waves between last white caps and along shoreline in same manner as described above.
- 7. Beach: Using photo as guide add Khaki Tan shade lines on beach. Then add shade lines of Mix A. Very lightly slip-slap Antique Mauve over grassy areas on right side.
- 8. Grass: Use liner to stroke Avocado grass blades; repeat with Celery Green. Line in tall grass stems in foreground with mix of Avocado + Lamp Black + Berry Red (2:tch:1). For flower tops, use liner to dot with Yellow Ochre; repeat with tall grass stem mix and then with Snow White.
- 9. Starfish: Base with mix of Buttermilk
+ Snow White (1:2); shade with mix of Yellow Ochre + Dk. Chocolate (2:1) and then Dk. Chocolate. Randomly dot Snow White on top.
- 10. Umbrella: Transfer pattern; undercoat
with gesso. Base sections as follows:
Snow White, mix of Royal Fuchsia + Snow White (1:3), Peaches ‘n Cream, and Baby Blue. Base post and top stem Snow White; shade with Mix A. Use Mix A to shade around top stem and along flap of umbrella; slip-slap right side of umbrella leaving circular area at top right unshaded. Slip-slap circular area Snow White. Add Snow White highlight lines along edges and flap of umbrella, and on top stem. Shade post Antique Mauve and then Khaki Tan.
Small Chair Canvas
- 1. Paint water, waves, shoreline, beach,
and grass in same manner as “Large
- 2. Chair: Transfer pattern. Undercoat top
of chair over water with gesso. Base
chair Snow White; shade with mix of Baby Blue + Ultra Blue Deep (2:1) and then with Khaki Tan. Paint over highlighted areas with Snow White. Shade again with Mix A and add accent lines.
- 3. Bag: Base with brush mix of Peaches ‘n Cream and Snow White. Use Mix A to shade and to add accent lines; paint
- 4. Drink: Shade glass Ultra Blue Deep.
Shade liquid with mix of Royal Fuchsia + Snow White (3:1). Paint top of paper parasol Antique Mauve and bottom Royal Fuchsia mix. Use Snow White to line parasol frame and stem. Highlight glass Snow White and line edges with Mix A.
- 5. Chair and Bag Shadows: Generously load #1 round with inky consistency Mix A; let brush flood shadow areas completely leaving open areas where slats are under chair.
Small Sailboat Canvas
- 1. Sky: Paint in same manner as “Large
Main Canvas” using Admiral Blue then Baby Blue.
- 2. Water: Brush extender over water area. Starting at horizon line, stroke with Mix A across top, then working down blend with mix of Teal Green + Snow White (1:3), and then with equal mix of Hauser Lt. Green + Snow White blending colors together allowing water to become lightest toward foreground.
- 3. Sailboat: Transfer pattern; undercoat
with gesso. Use Snow White to base sail, hull, and mast; use 1/8” shader to
highlight bottom of hull. Paint stripes
with Peaches ‘n Cream and with mix of Baby Blue + Ultra Blue Deep (2:1). Shade hull Khaki Tan, then with Mix A.
- 4. Use #8 shader to add Snow White highlight at right side center of peach
stripe; walk out highlight. Shade sails
with Mix A.
- 5. Waves: Use 1/8” shader to highlight
waves around boat Snow White. Use 1/4” shader to shade foreground waves with Mix A; highlight Snow White.
Small Seagull Canvas
- 1. Paint sand, beach, and grass in same
manner as “Large Main Canvas”. Base water with mix of Baby Blue + Ultra Blue Deep + Teal Green (2:1:2). Add half as much Snow White to mixture and continue to blend foreground water. Add equal amount of Hauser Lt. Green to mix and shade shoreline. Paint waves in same
manner as “Large Main Canvas”.
- 2. Base seagull Snow White. Shade body and wing Slate Grey and then with mix of Slate Grey + Charcoal Grey (2:1). Shade again with Mix A. Use Mix A to shade over bird on water. Line beak and legs Pumpkin; over-stroke with Mix A. Paint light part of bird with Snow White. Dot eye with Mix A.
Small Shell Canvas
- 1. Base entire canvas with equal mix of Buttermilk + Snow White. Base shell with mix of Peaches ‘n Cream + Snow White (1:2); shade Antique Mauve, then with mix of Dk. Brown + Yellow Ochre (2:1), and finally with Mix A. Highlight Snow White.
- 2. Shade beach and paint grasses in same manner as “Large Main Canvas”.
- 1. Fasten mounting tape on back sides of “Small Chair Canvas” and adhere in place on “Large Main Canvas”.
- 2. Secure hangers to back of canvas panels following directions.