Village Mantel Clock
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique
Maroon, Antique Rose, Black Green,
Bleached Sand, Blue Chiffon, Burnt
Umber, Celery Green, Charcoal Grey,
Desert Sand, Driftwood, Golden Straw, Honey Brown, Khaki Tan, Melon, Milk Chocolate, Mississippi Mud, Neutral Grey, Plantation Pine, Reindeer Moss Green, Tomato Red, Traditional Burnt Sienna, Uniform Blue, Warm White,
Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: Angular Bristle, Series 244, 1/4”; Deerfoot Stippler Russian Fitch,
Series 410, 1/8”; La Corneille Golden Taklon: Round, Series 7000, #2; Shader, Series 7300, #4,
#10, #12; Script Liner, Series 7050, #18/0
- DecoArt Americana Wood Sealer; Faux
Glazing Medium; DuraClear Varnish,
- Village clock (8”x10” with 12” base) from Patricia Rawlinson
- 1. Remove clock and set aside. Seal and
sand each surface; wipe dust. Base
entire village piece Bleached Sand.
Dampen sea sponge with Glazing Medium, pick up a bit of Desert Sand, and lightly sponge village piece. Repeat
with a bit of Khaki Tan. Base roofs
Burnt Umber and chimneys Traditional
Burnt Sienna. Shade chimneys Antique
Maroon and add Melon mortar lines. Base sidewalk (clock base) Driftwood.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto village piece, omitting inside window details at this point.
- 1. Wash each Burnt Umber, then shade along inside edges. Add Warm White shine lines.
- 1. Use Traditional Burnt Sienna to base window trims, door, and shutters; shade Antique Maroon and dry brush Melon highlights. Paint “Antiques” word Antique Maroon.
- 2. Transfer window details. Base window
shelves Bleached Sand; shade Plantation
Pine and highlight Warm White along top
edge. Shade again with mix of Plantation
Pine + tch. of Burnt Umber. Base column
plant stand and hat stand Warm White; shade Mississippi Mud and use same
color to add column lines. Base hat
Winter Blue; shade Williamsburg Blue
and highlight Blue Chiffon. Paint hat band Tomato Red. For picture on wall, base sky area Williamsburg Blue; use “dabby” strokes of Plantation Pine and Celery Green for ground and trees, and Antique Rose and Golden Straw for flowers. Paint frame and string Antique Maroon. Base pink pot on shelf Melon; highlight center Warm White. Wash in shape of lower left domed cake dish Warm White; shade Winter Blue. Base green vase Plantation Pine; shade Black Green and highlight Warm White. Base sign on door Winter Blue; shade Williamsburg Blue. Use Warm White to paint “Come In” and to outline sign. Paint string Antique Maroon.
- 3. Stipple greenery in upstairs window Plantation Pine; stipple Black Green shading and Celery Green highlights. Dab flowers Melon; shade Tomato Red and highlight Antique Rose.
- 4. Note: Use same colors for all greenery and flowers unless otherwise indicated.
- 1. Use Celery Green to base door, window
outer frames only, and sign; shade
Plantation Pine and highlight Reindeer
Moss Green. Use Black Green to line
door hinges, handle, and wording on sign. Base curtains with very wash Bleached Sand; highlight Warm White along bottom edges. Use Warm White to
outline and dab in curtain design.
- 2. Transfer window details. For left window, base shelves Bleached Sand and wash over with Melon; shade along bottom
with very washy Burnt Umber and
highlight along top with Warm White.
Base top vase Bleached Sand; shade
Melon and highlight Warm White. Base
middle pots Warm White; shade Antique
Maroon and highlight Warm White. Dab
pink flowers with Melon and Tomato Red.
Base bottom pot Traditional Burnt Sienna; shade Antique Maroon and highlight Melon. Stipple greenery in top vase and middle pot Celery Green, and stipple flowers in bottom pot Warm White.
- 3. For right window, base bird in cage Melon. Base cage Warm White; shade Melon. Base pot Melon; shade Tomato Red and highlight Warm White. Base vase Warm White; wash over with Celery Green and shade Plantation Pine. Dab flowers Melon and Antique Rose.
- 4. Base inside window frames Celery Green; shade Plantation Pine and highlight Reindeer Moss Green. For door, stipple wreath Plantation Pine; add stipples of Black Green and Celery Green. Use liner to dab in flowers of Melon, Tomato Red, and Warm White.
- 5. For stones, use side-load dirty brush
technique to “fluff ” in stone shapes
with Neutral Grey, Mississippi Mud, and
Charcoal Grey. Add additional darker
Charcoal Grey shades. Dry brush
Bleached Sand highlight in center of
- 6. Shade Charcoal Grey under roof and
along top of sign. Highlight building
edges Warm White. Base wood on either side of sign Bleached Sand and add Burnt Umber grain lines.
- 1. Use Winter Blue to base door, window frames, and shutters; shade Williamsburg Blue and deepen with
Uniform Blue. Dry brush Blue Chiffon
highlights. Use Uniform Blue to paint
knob, hinges, and to outline. Base
awning Bleached Sand. Base stripes
and bottom fringe Williamsburg Blue;
shade Uniform Blue and highlight Warm
White. Paint “Chocolate” wording Warm White.
- 2. Paint top chocolate pedestal in window
Warm White; paint chocolate Burnt Umber and strawberries Tomato Red. Base cake plate Melon; highlight Antique Rose. Paint cake Burnt Umber and add Tomato Red cherry on top. Base basket Honey Brown; shade Milk Chocolate and highlight Golden Straw. Base muffins Milk Chocolate and highlight Bleached Sand. Base green vase on right Reindeer Moss Green; shade Plantation Pine and highlight Warm White. Dab flowers Melon and Tomato Red. Base left vase Warm White and shade Williamsburg Blue. Add Burnt Umber chocolate covered pretzel sticks.
- 3. Base upstairs window flower pot Warm
White; shade Williamsburg Blue. Base
flowers Melon; shade Tomato Red and
highlight Antique Rose.
- 1. Base Bleached Sand and shade Mississippi
Mud. Use Burnt Umber to deepen shading and to add wood grain lines.
- 1. Base pots Traditional Burnt Sienna; shade Antique Maroon and highlight Melon. Base stems Burnt Umber.
- 1. Paint side windows on village piece to
match their shop using same colors as
front of shop. Add curtains across center of windows: wash Bleached Sand and highlight Warm White.
- 1. Lightly sponge Neutral Grey then Khaki
Tan. Spatter Charcoal then Bleached
Sand. Shade Charcoal on sidewalk across
front of village. Dry brush Warm White
highlights on sidewalk in front of each door and along top edges.
- 1. Shade Mississippi Mud around window and doors, under roofs and along sides of Antique and Chocolate Shops next to Flower Shop. Deepen with very washy Burnt Umber. Dry brush Khaki Tan highlights on roofs.
- 2. Apply several varnish coats. Assemble
village and replace clock.