- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique
Gold, Avocado, Bleached Sand, Burnt
Umber, Cocoa, Evergreen, French
Vanilla, Golden Straw, Gooseberry
Pink, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Midnite Blue, Milk Chocolate, Napa Red, Raspberry, Sand, Snow (Titanium) White, Spa Blue, Turquoise Blue, Victorian Blue
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Filbert Stencil Brush, Series R1114, Small; Domed White Bristle Stencil, R1113, 3/4”; Royal Fusion: Shader, Series R3150, #8,
#12; Golden Taklon: Comb, Series R730, 1/2”; Aqualon: Liner, Series R2595, #1; Combo: Oval Wash, Series L3080, 1”
- Exterior varnish
- Dense foam roller, 3”
- Floor cloth, 24”x34-1/2”
- Checked stencil with 3/4” squares
- Scott Magic Tape
- 1. Use roller to basecoat floor cloth with
mix of Spa Blue + Bleached Sand (2:1).
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer horizon line and hills. Wash grassy area with equal mix of Avocado + Spa Blue beginning at horizon line and moving forward, increasing Avocado as you move towards foreground; add a touch of Evergreen to strengthen foreground. Add a little Burnt Umber to wash mix and wash in hill under church.
- 3. Transfer sun and rays. Wash sun Antique
Gold; add touch of Snow White to wash
and highlight front edge of church hill.
Use very washy Antique Gold to pull
sun rays in sky.
- 4. Transfer remaining patterns. Basecoat
the following: caboose, sides of small
caboose roof, and engine cab with mix
of Turquoise Blue + Snow White + Cocoa (2:1:1); hot cocoa tank with same mix + Lamp Black; awnings with mix of Golden Straw + Cocoa (2:1); basket Cocoa; wheels with equal mix of Cocoa + Burnt Umber; eggs in Gooseberry Pink, Raspberry, Turquoise Blue, and Golden Straw; balloons in Turquoise Blue, Raspberry, and Golden Straw, ribbons and teapot with equal mix of Raspberry + Snow White; fence, bunnies, sign, caboose window frames, wheelbarrow, and church with mix of Snow White + Cocoa (2:1); roof on church with Burnt Umber + tch. of Avocado.
- 1. Wash door Burnt Umber. Wash windows
Golden Straw; tap on some thinned
Raspberry and some thinned Turquoise
Blue for stained glass effect. Base cross and stone path Burnt Umber; on
alternating step of stone path use equal mix of Burnt Umber + Snow White.
For “people” on path, use washy mix of
Raspberry + Burnt Umber and washy mix of Turquoise Blue + Burnt Umber to squiggle in some non-descript shapes.
- 2. Add sheep on hill with equal mix of Snow
White + Cocoa (2:1); add Burnt Umber
legs. Use equal mix of Snow White +
Burnt Umber for fence posts.
- 1. Paint mouths Burnt Umber, noses Cocoa,
and teeth Snow White. Use Snow White
to paint whites of eyes, Turquoise Blue to paint irises, and Lamp Black for pupils; add tiny Snow White highlight dots to pupils. Use thinned Lamp Black to add line work and whiskers.
- 1. Base awning stripes Gooseberry Pink;
shade Raspberry and deepen with Napa
Red. Shade teapot Napa Red. Add Burnt
Umber “chocolate spillings”. Fluff in
steam with Snow White. Base engineer’s
shirt and hat Golden Straw; shade Burnt
Umber. Shade engineer Burnt Umber. Shade engine cab with equal mix of Victorian Blue + Midnite Blue. Shade hot
cocoa tank with equal mix of Victorian
Blue + Burnt Umber + tch. of Lamp Black. Shade wheels Burnt Umber. Line
“Hot” Golden Straw. Line “Chocolate”
Cocoa; add Burnt Umber drop shadows.
- 1. Shade and highlight as follows: shade
Turquoise Blue balloon Victorian Blue
and highlight Spa Blue; shade Raspberry
balloon Napa Red and dry brush
Gooseberry Pink highlights; shade Golden
Straw balloon Milk Chocolate and dry
brush French Vanilla highlights, then use equal mix of French Vanilla + Snow White to tap on stronger highlight.
- 1. Shade Milk Chocolate; dry brush French
Vanilla. Use brush mix of French Vanilla
and Milk Chocolate to add vertical
weavers. Shade again with Burnt Umber.
- 2. Shade Turquoise Blue eggs Victorian Blue
and highlight Spa Blue. Shade Raspberry
eggs Napa Red and highlight Gooseberry
Pink. Shade Gooseberry Pink eggs with
equal mix of Napa Red + Raspberry; dry
rub highlight with equal mix Gooseberry
Pink and Snow White; repeat with Snow White. Shade Golden Straw egg Milk
Chocolate and dry rub French Vanilla
highlight; repeat with mix of French Vanilla + Snow White.
- 3. Shade ribbon with equal mix of Raspberry + Napa Red; dry brush Snow
White highlight; add random Golden
Straw highlight accents. Use shading mix
to add some glazing on yellow egg and
- 4. Use Evergreen to stipple moss in basket
and spilling from basket. Use equal mix
of Turquoise Blue + Evergreen to add
random stroke leaves in moss. Dot
random Golden Straw buds.
- 1. Wash windows and roof with mix of
Victorian Blue + tch. of Evergreen. Use
Snow White to float curtains; add gather
lines and dot along edges to resemble
lace. Use washy mix of Snow White +
Cocoa to add window panes. Deepen
shading on caboose with Midnite Blue. Base egg sign with equal mix of Gooseberry Pink + Snow White; shade
Gooseberry Pink. Paint lettering Golden
Straw and add Napa Red drop shadows.
Base paintbrush handle Gooseberry Pink;
shade Raspberry and deepen with Napa
Red. Base bristles Cocoa; shade Milk
Chocolate. Add Golden Straw “paint” on
bristles; shade Milk Chocolate.
- 2. Use Victorian Blue to shade along left
edge and along right front edge on small
caboose roof and along front left edge
and left edge of back end of caboose;
shade below awning. Add random Spa Blue dots on caboose front and equal mix of Victorian Blue + Evergreen circles on small caboose roof. Shade pink awning stripes Raspberry; deepen with Napa Rd. Use Cocoa to basecoat base of caboose; shade Burnt Umber and wash Burnt Umber across back end of caboose under railing.
- 3. Base bunny’s sweater Gooseberry Pink; shade Raspberry. Line “B” Snow White. Base pants Burnt Umber. Base brush handle Golden Straw and bristles Cocoa; shade each Burnt Umber. Add Turquoise Blue paint on bristles and drippings; shade Midnite Blue. Use equal mix of Gooseberry Pink + Snow White to shade inside ears. Paint egg on top of small caboose roof Gooseberry Pink; shade Raspberry. Add thinned Snow White decoration lines; dot Golden Straw. For nest, line Burnt Umber and highlight Cocoa.
- 4. Paint ribbon ties between caboose and
engine Gooseberry Pink; shade with equal mix of Napa Red + Raspberry and
highlight with a bit of equal mix of Snow White + Gooseberry Pink.
- 1. Shade Burnt Umber. Base ribbons
Raspberry and shade with equal mix of
Napa Red + Raspberry and highlight
with a bit of equal mix of Snow White +
Gooseberry Pink. Use Evergreen to paint
grass lines at base of fence, grass clusters, and tulip stems and leaves. Base tulips Golden Straw.
- 1. Use Burnt Umber to shade; thin paint to
- 1. Base with brush mix of Burnt Umber and
Snow White. Base nose, ear, and hoof
with mix of Burnt Umber + tch. of Snow
White; shade Burnt Umber. For wool, use mix of Snow White + tch. of Burnt Umber. Add Lamp Black facial details.
Little Foreground Hill and Pond
- 1. Shade Evergreen behind foreground hill.
Base pond with washy mix of Victorian
Blue + Evergreen. Use Midnite Blue to
shade under ducks and along edges of
pond, and to add water rings. Use skinny
Snow White floats to show water rings.
Paint baby ducks Golden Straw. Base
mama duck Cocoa; add washy Burnt Umber wing. Paint beak Golden Straw and dot eye Burnt Umber.
- 2. Shade edges of green scene area with
watery Evergreen + tch. of Burnt Umber;
use oval wash to slip-slap and soften
- 1. Shade Milk Chocolate; repeat with Burnt Umber. Shade and highlight eggs as follows: shade Turquoise Blue egg
Victorian Blue and highlight Spa Blue;
shade Raspberry egg Napa Red and dry
brush Gooseberry Pink highlights; shade
Gooseberry Pink egg with equal mix of
Napa Red + Raspberry and dry brush with equal mix of Gooseberry Pink + Snow White, then repeat with Snow White; shade Golden Straw egg Milk Chocolate and dry brush French Vanilla highlights, then use equal mix of French
Vanilla + Snow White to tap on stronger
highlight. Stipple Evergreen “moss” spilling from wheelbarrow.
Granma and Little Girl Bunny
- 1. Base little girl’s hat and dress with
equal mix of Gooseberry Pink + Snow White; shade Raspberry. Base granma’s pinafore Raspberry and shade Napa Red. Use Golden Straw to base granma’s hat, dress, and girl’s pinafore; shade each Milk Chocolate. Use Snow White to highlight dresses, hats, and pinafores; add lace and detailing. Shade ears Burnt Umber and highlight Snow White. Shade Evergreen under ears on grass background.
- 1. Use thinned Burnt Umber to wash on
tracks. Use mix of thinned Evergreen + Burnt Umber to shade under train especially under center car. For wheel
“spokes” and “hub caps”, use equal mix of Raspberry + Snow White; highlight Snow White.
- 1. Use liner and thinned Burnt Umber to add
some tree details and use mix of thinned
Evergreen + Burnt Umber to stipple tree
shapes on horizon line. Use filbert to
scumble additional Evergreen foliage.
- 1. Base yellow border with equal mix of
Golden Straw + Snow White. Let dry
thoroughly. Tape off blue and gold bands. Use equal mix of Victorian Blue + Lamp Black to tap in blue band adding Snow White to mix, decreasing color value on sides and ending with lighter value at top. Paint gold band Antique Gold and thin stripe Evergreen. Use Sand to stencil in checks in corners allowing paint to run out as you stencil.
- 2. For vines, use very very thinned mix of
Avocado + tch. of Gooseberry Pink and Snow White. Use same mix to add stroke leaves. Shade vines Milk Chocolate. Use #8 shader and Snow White to base petals; use light blue border color to shade bottom center of petals. Use equal mix of Gooseberry Pink + Snow White to add random berries.
- 3. Use Milk Chocolate to shade corners of
yellow and gold bands.
- 1. Deepen shading under train with mix of thinned Evergreen + Burnt Umber. Highlight wheelbarrow with equal mix of
Milk Chocolate + Sand. Use Snow White
to highlight fence and wheelbarrow within center area of scene. Use Golden Straw to wash sun rays, to float along right edge of sun, and to wash “glow” around sun. Use Evergreen to add additional grass and Golden Straw tulips if desired.
- 2. Use roller to apply three to four varnish coats. (Note: Always roll canvas projects to store.)