Lil' Easter Goodie Totes
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Asphaltum, Bright Green, Bubblegum
Pink, Cadmium Yellow, Holly Green,
Indian Turquoise, Lavender, Lilac, Ocean Blue, Poodleskirt Pink, Pumpkin, Royal Fuchsia, Snow (Titanium) White, Taffy Cream, Yellow Green
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon: Script Liner, Series 7050, #10/0; Liner,
Series 7350, #2, #4, #6; Shader, Series 7300, #6; Angular Shader, Series 7400, 1/4”, 3/8”; Filbert, Series 7500, #6, #8
- Double-sided tape
- Decorative ribbon in coordinating
- Optional: Easter grass
- Low nap white felt, 6” square, three
- Totally You Mini Canvas Totes
(TBM4CP-94); Purple, Pink, Yellow
- Black permanent pens: fine, medium
- Pinking shears
- 1. When painting on felt, mix just a
little water into paints for easy flow. (Note: Too much water will make paint to runny and could cause seepage.) If while painting you come across difficult “fuzz”, leave it. When
paint dries, snip fuzz and touch up as
needed. For double-dot technique, use large end of stylus to tap dot with one color, let dry, then use small end of stylus to tap different color dot on top. Use different size stylus and end
of brush handles to achieve various size dots.
- 1. Note: Be sure to use low nap felt that is smooth to touch.
- 2. Use pinking shears to trim felt edges
so tote edges are seen. Print out patterns. Transfer basic details using medium tip pen and thick lines for dark pattern lines and fine-tip for detail lines. Use script liner to line around each object on pattern using basecoat color omitting details at this time.
Easter Basket (Blue Tote)
- 1. Easter Basket: Use Taffy Cream to outline handle and basket; use #2 liner and #6 shader to base. Use script liner and Pumpkin to add detailing and to outline basket. Use mix of Pumpkin + Asphaltum (2:1) to shade along right side and bottom of detail lines. Use #2 liner and Cadmium Yellow to add highlight comma strokes on each basket weave and between detail lines; add smaller Taffy Cream highlights on top.
- 2. Bow: Line Bubblegum Pink; shade Royal
Fuchsia and highlight Poodleskirt Pink
- 3. Blue Eggs (3): Outline and base each
Indian Turquoise. For egg on left, add
tiny random Pumpkin dots. For middle
egg, paint flower petals Bubblegum Pink,
dot center Cadmium Yellow, and paint
leaves Holly Green. For egg on ground,
paint center stripe Bubblegum Pink and add Cadmium Yellow dots. Use 1/4”
angular shader to shade Ocean Blue
along bottom of each blue egg, then
- 4. Green Egg: Outline and base with mix of
Yellow Green + Bright Green (5:1). Paint
stripes Taffy Cream and Pumpkin; add
Indian Turquoise dots. Shade Holly Green
along bottom, then outline.
- 5. Purple Egg: Outline and base Lilac. Add random Bright Green dots. Shade Lavender along bottom, then outline.
- 6. Pink Egg: Outline and base Poodleskirt
Pink. Paint outer stripes Bright Green.
Paint middle stripe Lilac and add Indian
Turquoise dots. Shade Royal Fuchsia
along bottom, then outline.
- 7. Orange Egg: Outline and base Pumpkin.
Paint middle stripe Cadmium Yellow. Add
Indian Turquoise dots along each side
of stripe. Shade with mix of Pumpkin +
Royal Fuchsia (2:1) along bottom, then
- 8. Grass: Use script liner and Bright Green
to dab and pull blades between eggs in
basket and on ground. Shade bottom of
grass with lines and dabs of Holly Green. Highlight with lines of Yellow Green at top of blades.
- 9. Butterfly: Paint wings Pumpkin; outline
Royal Fuchsia and add double-dots of
Indian Turquoise then Cadmium Yellow.
Use Asphaltum to paint body and use
stylus to dot trail.
- 10. Border: Double-dot felt edges in the
following colors: Poodleskirt Pink and
Royal Fuchsia; Cadmium Yellow and
Pumpkin; Bright Green and Yellow Green;
Lilac and Lavender; Indian Turquoise and
Tulip and Eggs (Pink Tote)
- 1. Stem and Leaves: Use Bright Green to
outline leaves and line stem; base leaves. Use Holly Green to shade underside of stem, line leaf veins, and to shade bottom of leaves. Line Yellow Green highlight along top edge of stem and leaves.
- 2. Tulip: Outline Poodleskirt Pink and use
filbert to base. Outline petals Bubblegum Pink. To shade, use Royal Fuchsia to pull thin lines from base of tulip onto petals. Outline outer edges of tulip Snow White. Line stamen Holly Green and dot ends Cadmium Yellow.
- 3. Blue Egg: Outline and base Indian
Turquoise. Add random Bubblegum Pink, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Green, and
Lavender dots. Shade Ocean Blue along
bottom, then outline.
- 4. Yellow Egg: Outline and base Taffy Cream. Paint stripes Bright Green,
Poodleskirt Pink, and Indian Turquoise.
Shade green stripe Holly Green, pink
stripe Royal Fuchsia, and blue stripe
Ocean Blue. Add Snow White highlight
- 5. Butterfly: Paint wings Poodleskirt Pink
and outline Royal Fuchsia; add Indian
Turquoise dots. Paint body Asphaltum.
- 6. Grass: Paint grass in same manner as
grass in “Easter Basket”.
- 7. Border: For little “flowers”, double-dot
felt edges with Poodleskirt Pink then
Royal Fuchsia. Double-dot three Bright
Green then Yellow Green descending size dots on each side of flower.
Baby Chick (Purple Tote)
- 1. Chick: Outline and base Taffy Cream. Use filbert to base again; dab Cadmium Yellow along outer edges. Lightly shade Pumpkin around inside edges and under wing. Outline with mix of Pumpkin + Asphaltum (2:1). Paint beak and legs Pumpkin; outline Asphaltum. Paint eye Asphaltum. Wash cheek Bubblegum Pink. Use Snow White to highlight beak, eye, cheek, and stroke feathers on wings.
- 2. Flower Bonnet: Paint “roses” Poodelskirt
Pink; swirl Bubblegum Pink around middle and tap Royal Fuchsia in center; highlight dot Snow White. Paint leaves Bright Green; line stem Holly Green and highlight edges Yellow Green. Add a few Bright Green filler leaves. Add random Lavender and Snow White dots. Line ribbon Lilac; shade Lavender and highlight Snow White.
- 3. Egg: Outline and base Lilac. Base stripe
Cadmium Yellow; shade ends Pumpkin. Add double-dots of Bright Green then Yellow Green. Randomly dot Bubblegum Pink on either side of egg. Shade Lavender along bottom, then outline.
- 4. Tulips: Paint tulip, stems and leaves in
same manner as tulip in “Tulip and Egg” of pink tote.
- 5. Grass: Paint in same manner as grass in
- 6. Border: Paint felt edges with wavy
Bright Green line; shade with little
lines of Holly Green and highlight with
lines of Yellow Green. Add double-dots
of Cadmium Yellow then Pumpkin.
- 1. Use double-sided tape to adhere felt
squares to totes, placing tape close to edges and middle. Press firmly to secure. Tie ribbon into a bow around
handle. Stuff with Easter grass and fill
with candies or small gifts.