Easter Toothpick Box
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Baby
Pink, Cadmium Yellow, Gingerbread,
Grape Juice, Hauser Light Green,
Hauser Medium Green, Lamp (Ebony)
Black, Olive Green, Peaches ‘n Cream, Pineapple, Purple Cow, Royal Fuchsia, Salem Blue, Snow (Titanium) White, Taffy Cream
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Mop, Series 900, 1/2”; Deerfoot Stippler, Series 393, 1/8”;
Golden Taklon: Comb, Series R730, 1/4”; Glaze/Wash, Series R700, 1/2”; Angular, Series R160, 1/4”, 3/8”; Shader, Series R150, #4; Pointed Round, Series R250, #1;
Monogram Liner, Series R595, #10/0
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Acrylic Gesso
- Toothpick box and egg handle from
Craine’s Cutouts and Crafts
- 1. Apply Gesso to all surfaces. Sand lightly. Apply second Gesso coat. Let dry thoroughly. Use painter’s tape to tape off 1/2” band along base of box. Base all remaining areas of box and entire lid Salem Blue. Remove tape.
- 2. Print out patterns; lightly transfer basic details onto box sides.
- 1. Refer to painting chart.
- 1. Base bottom band Taffy Cream. Use
shader to base checks Purple Cow;
highlight Snow White along right side of
- 1. Use 3/8” angular and sheer Snow White to
float clouds on box and both sides of lid; mop to soften.
- 1. Undercoat with Gesso until opaque. Base egg on side A, Peaches'n Cream. Use 3/8” angular to shade Gingerbread; mop to soften. Base egg on side C, Baby Pink; shade Royal Fuchsia. Use sheer Snow White to highlight both eggs in center. Use monogram liner to paint cross-hatched stripes with Pineapple and Hauser Lt. Green; dry brush Snow White highlight in center of each stripe. Use stylus to add Purple Cow dip-dots. Highlight dip-dots with tiny Snow White dots.
- 1. Use deerfoot stippler to stipple heads
and bodies with undercoat of Gesso until opaque. Use pointed round and
Cadmium Yellow to paint wings and
tail. Let dry. Use deerfoot stippler and
Cadmium Yellow to stipple remaining
areas of head and body. Use dirty brush
method to stipple mix of Taffy Cream
+ tch. of Snow White highlights to face
area and along back. Use 1/4” angular and Gingerbread to shade chicks. Use pointed round and mix of Taffy Cream + tch. of Snow White to highlight wings and tail. Use monogram liner and Gingerbread to paint beaks; highlight with touch of Peaches'n Cream. Dot eyes Lamp Black; add smaller Snow White highlight dots.
- 1. Double-load shader with Purple Cow and
Grape Juice, and stroke wings. Use liner, stylus, and Snow White to add details to wings. Use Lamp Black and stylus to dip-dot body and trail; use thinned paint to line tiny antennae.
Grass and Flowers
- 1. For grass, load comb brush with slightly
thinned Hauser Med. Green. Holding box
upside down, rake grass from bottom
up. Use same brush and slightly thinned
Olive Green to rake in highlights. Use
monogram liner and Gingerbread to paint chick legs; highlight with touches of Peaches'n Cream.
- 2. For flowers, double-load tips of comb
brush with Royal Fuchsia and Baby Pink;
tap on palette to blend slightly, then
holding brush on chisel edge, lightly tap in flowers.
- 1. Base Taffy Cream. Use 1/4” angular to shade Cadmium Yellow along all edges.
Using photo as guide, use pointed
round to paint horizontal bands with
equal mix of Purple Cow + Snow White and Olive Green. Dry brush Snow White highlights on each band. Use monogram liner and thinned Olive Green to paint cross-hatched lines on top section of egg. Use stylus to add Snow White and Baby Pink dip-dots. Use thinned Purple Cow to paint linework at bottom of egg; add Snow White dip-dots. Use monogram liner and Peaches'n Cream to paint comma
strokes on center section of egg; add
Snow White dip-dots.
- 1. Use micron pen to add desired wording
to inside of lid; use stylus and Lamp Black to add trailing dots.
- 2. Use monogram liner and thinned Lamp
Black to paint stitched border under grass; use stylus to add dip-dots between.
- 3. Glue handle to center top of lid. Let dry. Apply sealer to entire box.