- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Black
Green, Bleached Sand, Burnt Umber,
Cadmium Yellow, Dioxazine Purple,
Dried Basil Green, Hauser Light Green, Hi-Lite Flesh, Indian Turquoise, Khaki Tan, Light Cinnamon, Lilac, Marigold, Medium Flesh, Pansy Lavender, Plantation Pine, Salem Blue, Shading Flesh, Snow (Titanium) White, Soft Black, Soft Blue, Summer Lilac, Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: Crescent Golden Taklon & Bristle, Series 247, 1/8”, 1/4”, 1/2”; Angular Bristle, Series 244, 1/4”, 1/2”, 3/4”; La Corneille Golden Taklon: Wash/Glaze, Series 7150, 3/4”; Shader, Series 7300, #4, #10, #12, #16; Round, Series 7000, #0, #5; Filbert, Series 7500, #6, #8
- Brushes: La Corneille Golden Taklon—Acrylic Handle: Script Liner, Series 7050C, #10/0
- Wood sealer
- Indoor/outdoor varnish
- DecoArt Faux Glazing Medium
- Old wooden bench approximately
- 1. Note: This wood was quite rough, with
grain very raised. If your piece is the
same, do not try to paint nice smooth
lines, allow your painting to be rough.
- 2. Lightly sand to remove varnish or paint if applicable. Wipe clean. Apply wood
sealer to top. Roughly apply coat of
Dried Basil Green over entire top.
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer fence.
- 1. Base Bleached Sand; shade Khaki Tan and
deepen with Burnt Umber. Dry brush
Snow White highlights.
- 1. Transfer horizon line. Load brush with
glazing medium; roughly and lightly
brush in Winter Blue sky area fading out
around edges. Add Williamsburg Blue and Indian Turquoise here and there. Use Bleached Sand to fluff in some clouds; highlight Snow White. Let dry. Scrub Shading Flesh along horizon line. Load brush with glazing medium; brush ground area Plantation Pine. Add Dried Basil Green and Hauser Lt. Green here and there.
- 2. Transfer remaining pattern. (Note: Artist placed barn and houses in areas where wood was smoother; change positions as desired.)
- 3. Base barn Lt. Cinnamon; shade Burnt Umber and deepen with Soft Black. Dry brush Shading Flesh highlights, then
Medium Flesh. Base door and window Bleached Sand; shade with very very washy Soft Black. Dry brush Snow White
highlights. Base roof Soft Black. Dry brush Shading Flesh highlights, then Hi-Lite Flesh; add touch of Soft Blue. Base
silo Bleached Sand; shade with very washy Soft Black. Base door and window of silo Soft Black; dry brush Snow White
highlights and add a touch of washy Shading Flesh on left side.
- 4. Base both houses Bleached Sand; shade very washy Soft Black. Add glazing touches of Shading Flesh.
- 5. Base roof on left house Lt. Cinnamon; shade Burnt Umber. Dry brush Shading Flesh and Hi-Lite Flesh highlights. Base windows and door Lt. Cinnamon; shade Soft Black along left side.
- 6. Base roof on right house Soft Black; dry brush Medium Flesh highlights. Base windows and door Shading Flesh; shade Burnt Umber along left side.
- 7. Base both chimneys Shading Flesh; highlight Hi-Lite Flesh and shade Lt. Cinnamon.
- 8. For sheep, dab in Bleached Sand shapes, then dab Snow White highlights. Paint face, ears, and legs Soft Black. Shade Plantation Pine on ground under sheep.
- 9. For vegetable gardens, stipple rows of Plantation Pine as base. Stipple Black Green for shading and stipple Hauser Lt. Green and Cadmium Yellow for highlights. Add touches of Indian
Turquoise to center row of front garden. Base fences Bleached Sand. For flowers in front of front garden dab in clusters of Shading Flesh and Hi-Lite Flesh, Summer Lilac and Dioxazine
Purple, Cadmium Yellow and Hauser Lt. Green.
- 10. Add squiggly washy Lt. Cinnamon pathways in front of barn and houses. Shade Plantation Pine along both sides. Stipple shrubbery around houses and barn with Black Green, Plantation Pine, Hauser Lt. Green, and Cadmium Yellow.
Left Fence Area
- 1. Base vine branch Burnt Umber. Loosely shade Soft Black along left sides and dry brush Bleached Sand highlights here and there. Use 3/4” angular bristle to lightly stipple Plantation Pine and Hauser Lt. Green along branches. Double-load #6 filbert with Black Green and Plantation Pine; stroke leaves on top of
stippling. Add a touch of Hauser Lt. Green here and there.
- 2. Base stump Burnt Umber; shade Soft Black and dry brush highlights with Lt. Cinnamon, Shading Flesh, and a touch of
- 3. Base bird Winter Blue; wash over with Williamsburg Blue. Base Bleached Sand over breast area; wash with Lt. Cinnamon. Highlight Sanding Flesh along front, then with Bleached Sand. Shade wing, tail, and head with very washy Soft Black; pat in areas of Indian Turquoise. Highlight Salem Blue, Soft Blue and then a light touch of Snow White. Paint eye and beak Soft Black; highlight Snow White. Base legs Lt. Cinnamon; shade Soft Black and highlight Medium Flesh.
- 4. Base wheelbarrow Lt. Cinnamon; shade Burnt Umber and deepen with Soft Black. Dry brush highlighted areas Shading Flesh; brighten with Medium Flesh and then Hi-Lite Flesh. Add Indian Turquoise
dry brush touches here and there. Add lines of Soft Black.
- 5. Stipple greenery Plantation Pine; stipple Black Green shading and highlight Hauser Lt. Green and Cadmium Yellow. Use Med.
- 6. Flesh to dab in pink flowers at far left; dab centers Shading Flesh and Lt. Cinnamon. Highlight flowers Hi-Lite Flesh. Use Marigold to dab in yellow flowers then dab with Cadmium Yellow. Dab white flowers with Bleached Sand then Snow White. Stipple little yellow ground cover flowers Marigold and Cadmium Yellow. Paint stems Black Green and Hauser Lt. Green. Lightly dab purple ground cover flowers Pansy
Lavender, Summer Lilac, and Dioxazine Purple.
Right Fence Area
- 1. Base tree branches Burnt Umber; shade Soft Black and highlight Bleached Sand. For leaves, dampen 3/4” angular bristle
with glazing medium then load with Plantation Pine; lightly stipple in leaves. Use dirty brush and Black Green for shadows and Hauser Lt. Green for highlights. (Note: Hold brush at back
of handle to achieve lighter stippling.)
- 2. Base sign Khaki Tan; shade Burnt Umber and deepen with Soft Black. Dry brush Bleached Sand highlights. Use Soft Black to paint wire and “Welcome”.
- 3. Base pots Shading Flesh; wash over with Lt. Cinnamon. Shade Lt. Cinnamon and deepen with Burnt Umber. Dry brush
highlighted areas first with Med. Flesh and then Hi-Lite Flesh; add dry brush areas of Bleached Sand. Wash over these areas with Plantation Pine. Stipple greenery in pot with Plantation Pine, Black Green, and Hauser Lt. Green. Dab flowers with Med. Flesh; highlight with Hi-Lite Flesh.
- 4. Stipple greenery around fence and pots in same manner as “Left Fence Area”. Then stipple white flowers, yellow ground cover, and purple ground cover in same manner.
- 5. For hollyhocks, dab basic shape Pansy Lavender; dab in shading with equal mix of Pansy Lavender + Dioxazine Purple;
dab highlights with Summer Lilac and Lilac. (Note: If additional highlight is needed, add a touch of Bleached Sand.) Base daisy petals Bleached Sand; lightly shade Soft Black and highlight
Snow White. Dab centers Marigold; highlight Cadmium Yellow and shade Lt. Cinnamon. Add touches of equal mix of
Lt. Cinnamon + Dioxazine Purple to petals. Base leaves and stems Plantation Pine; shade Black Green and highlight Hauser Lt. Green.
- 1. Paint “Come Sit With Me” Soft Black. Add dry brush touches of Shading Flesh in grass area, on daisies and purple flowers, on fence, and in ground greenery. Add some Winter Blue dry
brushing here and there.
- 2. Apply several varnish coats. (Note: Be sure to use outdoor varnish if bench is to be used outside.)