Seasonal Primitives Candle Shelf
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique
Gold, Buttermilk, Dark Chocolate,
Hauser Medium Green, Khaki Tan,
Lamp (Ebony) Black, Santa Red,
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon: Shader, Series 7300, #4, #6, #10, #14, #20; Wash/Glaze, Series 7150, 1”; Liner, Series 7350, #6/0, #1
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer; Staining/Antiquing
Medium; DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Candleholder Shelf with Inserts
(#60017) from the Artists Club
- 1. Basecoat all items for solid coverage.
Use painter’s tape to mask off straight
lines. Erase all transfer lines as you go.
- 1. Sand surfaces thoroughly with #220 grit sandpaper then with #400. Wipe dust. Apply one coat sealer to individual
panels and shelf unit. Let dry. Sand lightly and wipe dust.
- 2. Print out patterns.
- 1. Base panel Uniform Blue. Transfer basic
sun, lamb, and rocker outlines. Undercoat sun and dashes Khaki Tan; base Antique Gold.
- 2. Base lamb sections as follows: front and
back sections Khaki Tan; middle section, head, tail, and feet Lamp Black; rocker panel Hauser Med. Green. Use #20 shader to float Dk. Chocolate along edges of Khaki Tan sections of lamb except where they meet at middle
- 3. Transfer tulip on lamb. Base leaves and
stem Hauser Med. Green; undercoat
flower with one coat Khaki Tan then
base solidly with Santa Red.
- 4. Transfer wording and check pattern on
rocker; paint each Lamp Black. Transfer
tulip heads on each side of wording and
paint in same manner as tulip on lamb.
- 5. Use liner and Buttermilk to add highlight lines on lettering, tulip heads, sun, legs, tail, tulip stem and leaves, tulip panel, and checks; dot eye, and add dots to sun and base of tulip head on panel.
- 1. Use painter’s tape to tape panel
exposing bottom band. Transfer flag
canton. Base canton Uniform Blue and
field area Khaki Tan. Transfer stripes and use tape to mask off center stripe; base top and bottom stripes Santa Red. Use liner to undercoat star Khaki Tan then base Antique Gold.
- 2. Base remaining portion of panel Hauser
Med. Green. Transfer rooster and peg.
Base rooster Lamp Black and peg Dk.
Chocolate. For wood grain, line peg with
Khaki Tan + tch. of Lamp Back. Float
Dk. Chocolate along edges of rooster.
Transfer heart and string. Undercoat
heart Khaki Tan then base Santa Red.
Use liner to paint string Khaki Tan; line with Lamp Black for individual strands. Use Dk. Chocolate to shade back string below body and string at neck. Shade each end of peg Lamp Black.
- 3. Transfer wording and base Lamp Black.
Transfer and paint hearts in same
manner as rooster heart.
- 4. Line Buttermilk highlights on hearts,
lettering, star, and middle flag stripe.
Shade Dk. Chocolate on striped section
of flag next to canton. Randomly dot
green background Khaki Tan.
- 1. Transfer bottom band and tape off. Use
Antique Gold to base remaining portion
of panel. Remove tape and base band
Lamp Black. Transfer and base stripe
Hauser Med. Green.
- 2. Transfer goose; mask off areas as
required. Use Lamp Black to base beak,
head, neck, peg, and foot. Paint chin
patch Khaki Tan. Base front and back
sections of body Dk. Chocolate, and
middle section Uniform Blue. Line plank
lines Lamp Black. Use Lamp Black and
Khaki Tan for wood grain. Transfer apple; undercoat Khaki Tan then base Santa Red. Paint leaves Hauser Med. Green.
- 3. Transfer wording and leaves. Base
wording Lamp Black and leaves Hauser
Med. Green. Transfer and base checks
- 4. Line Buttermilk highlights on leaves,
wording, checks, neck, apple, center
panel, leg, foot, and middle stripe; dot eye and “nail heads” along paneled sections of body. Randomly dot gold background Lamp Black.
- 1. Base panel Dk. Chocolate. Transfer
cardinal and rocker. Undercoat body
Khaki Tan then base Santa Red. Mask off
and base beak and peg Antique Gold,
head Lamp Black, and scarf Hauser Med.
Green. Base rocker Uniform Blue.
- 2. Transfer details on wing and tail; line
Lamp Black. Transfer details on scarf and line Khaki Tan. Use #10 shader to float Dk. Chocolate on beak next to head and on each end of peg. Float Lamp Black on body next to scarf.
- 3. Transfer wording and check pattern on rocker; base each Lamp Black. Line
Buttermilk highlights on wording, beak,
peg, and checks; dot eye. Use Buttermilk
to line and dot snowflakes and to
randomly dot brown background.
- 1. Base shelf unit and sides Khaki Tan for solid coverage. Transfer and base
pineapple Hauser Med. Green. Use Lamp Black to line leaf details and to add
line work on pineapple. Mask off and
paint diagonal boxes Antique Gold; add
Lamp Black dots.
- 2. Paint side edges of shelf unit Santa Red
and shelf edges Lamp Black. Measure off
and base check border Lamp Black.
- 1. Use #220 grit sandpaper to randomly
sand edges of shelf unit and panels
exposing wood. Rub over sanded areas
with equal mix of staining medium and
- 2. Apply two to three coats varnish; after
second coat rub surface with steel wool
in circular motion; wipe dust. Repeat
same after each coat varnish.