Welcome Spring Door Plaque
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Admiral
Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Avocado,
Black Green, Blue Mist, Bubblegum
Pink, Burnt Umber, Canyon Orange,
Deep Periwinkle, Foliage Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Cinnamon, Light Avocado, Moon Yellow, Orange Twist, Plantation Pine, Raw Sienna, Razzle Berry, Shale Green, Snow (Titanium)
White, Taffy Cream, Teal Green,
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #4, #10, #14; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Chisel Blender, #8; Round, #1; Script, #10/0;
Filbert, #20/0, #10; Filbert Tooth, 1/4”, 1/2”; Deerfoot, 1/4”; Dagger, 1/2”; Oval Wash, 3/4”
Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400; 1/4”, 1/2”; Round Dry Brush, Series 100, #8
- DecoArt: DuraClear Varnish, Satin;
Brush ‘n Blend Extender
- Weather Proof Outdoor Plaque (Large
River Road Sign #26528, 11”x14”)
from Walnut Hollow
- Foam roller, 2”
- Faux wood graining tool
- 1. Use #10, #14 shader or flat wash to do most floating. Use mop brush to soften floats, gently pouncing over water’s edge. All line work is done using either #10/0 liner; always thin paint to inky consistency, fully load liner, then blot tip on paper towel. Always fully load rake brush with thinned paint. Flick tips of bristles on hard surface such as the edge of your palette to remove immediate paint build up and to open bristles. For ease in painting, turn surface to stroke towards yourself; rest wrist on table, hold brush straight up at base of area, and flick brush towards yourself pivoting tip of handle away from you, and allowing bristles to taper off naturally.
- 1. No sanding is needed prepare surface.
Use foam roller to apply even coat Shale
Green. Let dry and sand to smooth. Apply second coat for opaqueness. Let
dry and sand smooth again.
- 1. On wax palette, squirt out equal amounts
(quarter size) of Shale Green, Lt. Avocado, and Brush'n Blend Extender; mix well with palette knife (See Fig. 1-4.) Use large brush to quickly apply mix horizontally on half of plaque; while wet, quickly drag graining tool over wet paint starting with top or
front of tool at one end and slowly rocking tool to back while dragging through paint, keeping steady pressure, and working fairly horizontal. Apply paint to remainder of surface and repeat process; remember to always overlap drag lines slightly to avoid
seams. Let dry thoroughly.
- 2. Float wide Plantation Pine around edges
of plaque. Print pattern; transfer basic details onto plaque.
- 1. Refer to painting chart.
Grass and Blades
- 1. Use dagger and very thinned Plantation
Pine to randomly stroke transparent
background blades along bottom of
plaque. Base main blades Avocado; shade
Plantation Pine to divide blades. Deepen
with Black Green. Dry brush Foliage Green highlights then brighten with Moon Yellow.
- 1. Base daffodil stems Lt. Avocado; wash over with Foliage Green. Shade
Plantation Pine along left side and
highlight along right with brush mix of
Moon Yellow and Foliage Green.
- 1. Base entire flower Moon Yellow. Transfer
pattern details. Wash Orange Twist over
centers. Shade petals first with Raw Sienna then darken with narrow load
of Lt. Cinnamon. Dry brush Taffy Cream
highlights then brighten with Snow White. Stroke fine Lt. Cinnamon lines on petals from center out, then use 20/0 liner and Taffy Cream to pull soft faint lines from tips of petals inward.
- 2. For flower centers, use Canyon Orange
to float throats, under rippled edges, along base of cup, and all along rippled edges. Darken throats with second coat. Darken throat of lower daffodil again with touch of Lt. Cinnamon. Dry brush Taffy Cream
highlights then brighten with Snow White.
- 3. Base pistil Taffy Cream; shade Raw Sienna along bottom. Use 20/0 liner, Orange Twist, and Canyon Orange to pull a few lines along pistil and to add random dots above pistil.
- 1. Stroke Foliage Green grassy blades; add
small Taffy Cream highlight line through
centers. Base stems Lt. Avocado; shade
Plantation Pine and use chisel blender to dry brush Foliage Green highlights.
- 2. Base flower Deep Periwinkle. Use
Admiral Blue to dry brush general
shades; float petal divisions. Use 1/4”
filbert tooth and Admiral Blue to rake
soft markings over shaded areas. Dry
brush Wisteria highlights; use 1/4” filbert tooth to stroke over highlights. Use 10/0 liner and Snow White to brighten highlights. Tape center pistil Canyon Orange. Paint buds in same manner, using Orange Twist to first float base, then deepen with Canyon Orange. In same manner as above, add a few grassy blades in front of flowers.
- 1. Base leaves Avocado; shade Plantation Pine and deepen with Black Green. Dry brush Foliage Green highlights; use dirty brush to brighten with a bit of Taffy Cream.
- 2. Base flower Bubblegum Pink. Base stems
with brush mix of Lt. Avocado and Foliage Green. Dry brush Moon Yellow tinges on flower; brighten with Taffy Cream. Use 10/0 liner to stroke extra Taffy Cream highlights and again with Snow White. Float all shading Razzle Berry; deepen with Alizarin Crimson. Outline petal edges Moon Yellow; highlight Taffy Cream and again with Snow White. Float Moon Yellow along top of petals on back two petals.
- 3. Float Lt. Avocado along base of tulip then pull up some short lines. Shade narrow Black Green along left side of stem.
- 1. Stroke grassy blades with brush mix
of Lt. Avocado and Foliage Green then
use 20/0 liner to add thin Taffy Cream
pinstripe highlight through centers. Base stems Lt. Avocado; shade Plantation Pine and use chisel blender to dry brush Foliage Green highlights.
- 2. Base flower Moon Yellow. Transfer
pattern details. Float petal divisions with Raw Umber; deepen with Lt. Cinnamon. Float soft Canyon Orange tinges here and there. Dry brush Taffy Cream highlights; brighten with Snow White. In same manner as above, add a few grassy blades in front of flowers.
Grass and Nest
- 1. Use 1/2” filbert tooth and Plantation
Pine to rake soft grassy blades. Use
same brush to base nest Burnt Umber.
Highlight top of nest Lt. Cinnamon. Float Lamp Black along inside and base of nest. Base eggs Blue Mist; shade Teal Green to divide eggs. Use liner to dot very thinned Teal Green markings. Highlight eggs with brush mix of Blue Mist and Snow White.
- 1. Transfer wording. Use #4 shader and
thinned Plantation Pine to cast shadow
behind each letter. Base letters Avocado. Line Black Green along left edge of each letter and stroke Snow White highlights along right sides.
- 1. Transfer pattern. Base stripes on wings
Moon Yellow and remainder of butterfly
Lamp Black. Dry brush soft Deep
Periwinkle highlights on body, wings, and head. Float Canyon Orange on stripes; pull Lamp Black dividing lines. For bottom back wing, add Canyon Orange comma strokes along edge and just below comma strokes add Snow White markings. For front and front back wings, add Moon Yellow markings along top of wings. Add thinned Snow White dots on body and head. Dot small Lamp Black eye.
- 1. Use Black Green to paint outer wroughted edges. Use oval wash to apply several varnish coats.