Planter Full of Posies
- Terra Cotta Planter (#DAP900UP)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Cadmium Yellow, Carousel Pink,
Dioxazine Purple, Lavender, Lamp
(Ebony) Black, Lemonade, Ocean
Blue, Olive Green, Pumpkin, Purple
Cow, Razzle Berry, Snow (Titanium)
White, Ultra Blue Deep
- Royal & Langnickel Majestic Paintbrushes: Shader, Series R4150, #10; Angular, Series R4160, 1/4”,
3/4”; Filbert, Series R4170, #2, #6; Script Liner, Series R4585, #1; Short Liner, Series R4595, #1
- DecoArt: Jansen Art Traditions Multi-Surface Sealer; Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- Sakura Black Pigma Micron Pen, #02
foam brush, old toothbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Use foam brush to apply sealer on
unglazed surfaces of planters. Let dry.
Base sealed areas with several coats
- 2. Print and trace pattern. Trace rectangle and side band shapes onto planters. Base rectangles Lamp Black and bands Olive Green. Use 3/4” angular to float Ocean Blue on either side of bands.
- 3. Transfer basic flower and leaf shapes.
Use filbert to base as follows: Impatiens petals Purple Cow; Impatiens center Cadmium Yellow; Zinnia Pumpkin; rose Carousel Pink; leaves Olive Green; stems Lemonade. Transfer remaining details.
- 1. Use angle brush to apply shading.
- 1. Refer to painting chart.
- 1. Shade petals Lavender; deepen with
Dioxazine Purple. Highlight with equal
mix of Purple Cow + Snow White;
strengthen with Snow White. Use short liner and thinned Snow White to paint veins on petals. Accent several petals with wash of Carousel Pink. Shade lower half of flower center Razzle Berry. Use short liner and thinned Dioxazine Purple to paint center swirl.
- 1. Shade each petal Razzle Berry; deepen with Dioxazine Purple. Highlight outer edge of each petal Cadmium Yellow; strengthen with equal mix of Cadmium Yellow + Snow White, then further strengthen with a few Snow White highlights. Use stylus and Snow White to add center dot detailing.
- 1. Shade petals Razzle Berry; deepen
shading with Dioxazine Purple.
Highlight with equal mix of Carousel
Pink and Snow White; strengthen with Snow White. Accent large lower petal with wash of Cadmium Yellow. Use short liner and thinned Snow White to outline large center swirl.
- 1. Shade Ultra Blue Deep along base of
leaves; strengthen with mix of Ultra Blue Deep + Lamp Black (2:1). Highlight tips Lemonade; strengthen with equal mix of Lemonade + Snow White. Use pen to
draw veins and swirls.
- 1. Load shader with wash of Ocean Blue.
Apply first stripe directly below stem
of center rectangle; work to left spacing stripes evenly apart. Repeat to complete right side.
Lettering, Dots and Band Striping
- 1. Use thinned Snow White and short liner
to paint lettering and dots; use script
liner to paint stripes on upper and lower edges of band.
- 1. Use old toothbrush and thinned
Dioxazine Purple to spatter entire
planter; while wet, wipe spatters from
band and flower areas.
- 1. Spray planter with several sealer coats.