Happy Frog Gardener
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique
Gold, Antique Mauve, Arbor Green,
Baby Blue, Berry Red, Black Green,
Blush Flesh, Boysenberry Pink,
Cadmium Yellow, Deep Midnight Blue,
Gooseberry Pink, Hauser Dark Green,
Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium
Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Limeade,
Snow (Titanium) White, Spice Pink,
True Blue, Uniform Blue
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #2, #6, #12; Angular, 1/4”, 3/8”; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Liner, #10/0; Round, #0
- J.W. etc. Polyurethane Varnish, Matte
- Forster: Flower Woodsie, Large; Jumbo Circle Woodsie, XXL; dowel, 1/4”-wide, 10-3/4” length
- Wooden beads, two, 1”
- Wooden ball knobs, two, 1-3/4”
- Wooden button plug, 5/8”
- Rope, 1/4”-wide, 14” length
- Craft wire: black, 19-gauge, 4”; 24-gauge, 5”
- API The Ultimate! Crafter’s Pick glue
- Terra cotta: pot, 6”; saucer, 12”
- Drill bits: 1/16”; glass and tile, 1/4”
- 1. Print out patterns.
- 2. For hands, cut a 3/4” length from dowel;
glue wood beads together using dowel.
Use 1/16” bit to drill a hole through sides of button plug. Align button plug to center of flower; drill holes through
flower on either side of button plug.
Spread glue on back of button plug;
thread 24-gauge wire through button
plug holes and through holes in flower
then spread glue onto top of remaining
dowel length (stem) and twist wire onto dowel securing flower in place. Lay flat
- 3. Use pattern as guide to mark 1/4” holes
at sides of frog (pot) for arms and on
lily pad (saucer) to hold fl ower stem.
Use 1/4” bit to drill holes through sides of frog and into lily pad just deep enough to hold stem securely. Base button plug (flower center) Cadmium Yellow, flower with mix of Spice Pink + Snow White (2:1), and stem Hauser Med.
Green. Shade Boysenberry Pink along
outer edges of petals and around flower
- 4. Undercoat saucer with Gesso; let dry
and transfer pattern. Base pot Limeade;
let dry and transfer pattern. Extend legs over rim of pot.
- 1. Base top of rim Snow White, outer rim
top Berry Red, and remaining outer
side of saucer Cadmium Yellow. Base
inside rim Hauser Lt. Green. Use liner
to stroke Hauser Med. Green and Hauser Dk. Green grass blades. Base lily pad Arbor Green, frog’s feet Limeade, and water Baby Blue. Use equal mix of Black Green + Arbor Green to shade along bottom of grass and along outer edges of lily pad; shade flipped up areas
and along crease lines of lily pad. Use
#2 shader to paint Hauser Lt. Green
spots on feet; shade Hauser Dk. Green.
Shade Hauser Lt. Green along edges of
feet; deepen with Hauser Med. Green and finally with Hauser Dk. Green. Highlight toes Snow White. Highlight
lily pad with mix of Antique Gold + Hauser Lt. Green (2:1). Shade water with equal mix of True Blue + Uniform
Blue; deepen with Deep Midnight Blue.
Highlight “waves” here and there with
Snow White; use round brush to add
- 1. Base rope (arms) and hands Limeade; dry brush each Hauser Lt. Green. Using photo as guide, base eyes Snow White,
pupils Lamp Black, and eyelids Limeade.
Use Hauser Lt. Green to shade around
bottom of body, legs, mouth, eyelids,
and dragonfly. Repeat with Hauser Med.
Green and then with Hauser Dk. Green.
Use #2 shader to paint Hauser Lt. Green spots; shade Hauser Dk. Green. Dry brush Limeade here and there. Use Snow White to walk out small area of highlighting on pupils then add highlight dot with round brush. Dry brush Snow White on center front of body, top of legs and eyelids. Dry brush cheeks Blush Flesh; highlight Snow White and add tiny dots.
- 1. Base body with equal mix of Gooseberry Pink + Snow White; use same mix and Snow White (1:1) to highlight. Use 3/8” angular and Snow White to highlight wings. Base eyes Snow White and pupils Lamp Black; highlight dot pupils Snow White. Shade Antique Mauve along outer edges of body and wings.
- 1. Glue eyes in place as shown. Use black
permanent fine-line marker to add
detailing. Thread arms (rope) through
holes in frog and glue ends into sides of hands. For eyelashes, cut four 1” lengths from 19-gauge wire. Use 1/16” bit to drill two holes into sides of eye lids and glue eyelashes in place. (Note: Omit eyelashes if desired.)
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s directions to apply two coats varnish over entire project.