Welcome to my Garden
- Jansen Art Traditions Acrylics:
Cerulean Blue, Diarylide Yellow,
Hansa Yellow, Light Grey (Value 8),
Phthalo Blue, Quinacidone Violet,
Ultramarine Blue, Warm White,
- Brushes: Jansen Art Traditions: Short Liner, Series JAB17, #1 (or JAB18, #2); Round, Series JAB03, #3; Filbert, Series JAB24, #6 (or JAB25, #8)
- Other brushes: angular, 1/4” or 3/4”; glaze/wash, 1”; oval mop, 1/4”
- Jansen Art Traditions Mediums: Multi-Surface Sealer ; Glazing Medium; Extender & Blending Medium; Satin Varnish
- Eye hooks, two
- Chain, 4” lengths, two
- Black cast iron metal hanger with
wood sign (#202900, 10.5” diameter)
from Painter’s Paradise
- Spray bottle filled with distilled water
- Masterson Stay Wet Palette Keeper
- 1. Apply one coat sealer on both sides of wood and metal hanger. Lightly sand
wood plaque and wipe dust.
- 2. Use mix of Lt. Grey + Cerulean Blue
(2:1) to base both sides of plaque and
hanger. Let dry. Apply second coat and
let dry again. Lightly sand plaque only;
- 3. Print out pattern. Lightly transfer basic details, omitting “accessory” strokes (filler strokes and vines) at this time.
- 1. Yellow: Hansa Yellow + Diarylide Yellow (1:1)
- 2. Lt. Yellow: Yellow mix + Warm White (1:2)
- 3. Dk. Yellow: Yellow Oxide + Quinacidone
- 4. Blue: Ultramarine Blue + Phthalo Blue +
Warm White (1:1:1)
- 5. Lt. Blue: Blue mix + Warm White (1:4 or 5)
- 6. Dk. Blue: Ultramarine Blue + Phthalo
Blue + Warm White (1:1:tch)
- 7. Pink: Quinacidone Violet + Warm White
+ Lt. Blue mix (1:1:tch)
- 8. Lt. Pink: Pink mix + more Warm White
- 9. Dk. Pink: Quinacidone Violet
- 10. Green: Yellow mix + Blue mix + Warm
- 11. Lt. Green: Green mix + Warm White (1:2)
- 12. Dk. Green: Yellow mix + Blue mix (1:1/2)
- 1. Use water and light value mixes to base
flowers, leaves, stems, and ribbon, using shape following strokes; use filbert for flowers, leaves, and ribbon, and use liner or round brush for stems. Apply second coat if needed.
- 1. Apply thin layer Extender over surface.
Dress angular brush with Extender and
side-load with appropriate dark value
mixes to shade and separate flower
petals; make a small “C” stroke for
flower centers. Use Dk. Green mix to
shade leaves at base and in center vein
area; wipe brush and with chisel edge
stroke center leaf vein.
- 1. Use Dk. Green mix to shade stems where shaded by leaf or flower petal. Use hair dryer to force dry. Apply thin layer Extender over surface and use light value mixes to highlight petals and leaves. For ribbon, shade with Dk. Yellow mix and highlight with Lt. Yellow mix + more Warm White. Force dry. Apply Extender over surface. Repeat light and dark applications to add filler leaves and calyx.
- 1. Use colors on palette to add tints
to leaves, flowers, stems, and ribbon.
Reinforce flower centers. Use tip of
liner to dot Yellow Oxide and Warm
- 2. Add more Cerulean Blue to background basecoat color to darken background. Then add Glazing Medium + water (1:1) for a semi-transparent color and use liner to add filler strokes and vines.
- 3. Use compass to mark 1”-wide border; dip one edge of wedge sponge or petifore sponge with darkened background basecoat color and paint border keeping slightly transparent. Paint cut edge with same color and sponge applying
second coat for more opaque coverage. Force dry. Thin paint with water and spatter surface omitting border.
- 1. Apply three varnish coats.