- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique
Rose, Avocado, Black Green,
Buttermilk, Cadmium Yellow, Camel,
Celery Green, Charcoal Grey,
Crimson Tide, Dark Chocolate, Deep
Midnight Blue, Gingerbread, Green
Mist, Hauser Dk. Green, Hauser
Lt. Green, Heritage Brick, Snow
(Titanium) White, Terra Cotta
- Brushes: Daler-Rowney Robert Simmons: Expression: Flat Shader, Series E60, #1, #2, #4, #8, #12; Detail Spotter, Series E81, #10/0; Angle Shader, Series E57, 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”; Liner, Series E51, #10/0; Flat Wash/Glaze, Series E55, 3/4”; Decorator Stencil, Series 960, 1/8”
- DecoArt Acrylic Gesso; Clear Gel Stain; Weathered Wood; Perfect Crackle; Ultra Stencils, Scrolls (UST09)
- Plaid Simply Stencils: Fleur-De-Lis
- Midwest Products Micro-Cut
Basswood: 1/2”x2”x24” sheets (#4113), two
- Wood screws, #6 3/4”, 18
- Heavy craft wire
- Photo hangers, two
- Fredrix Creative Edge Canvas:
3/4”x9”x12”; 1-1/2”x5”x7”, two;
1-1/2”x4”x5”; 3/4”x5”x7”; 3/4”x4”x4”; 3/4”x6”x6”
- Scroll stencils of choice: 2”x17”,
- 1. Use palette knife to apply Gesso to
following canvases: for vase canvas, apply to bottom, and left side, and a little up into right corner of 9”x12” canvas; for pear canvas, apply a 1-1/4” wide strip across bottom of 1-1/2”x5”x7” canvas; for cherry canvas, measure 1-1/2” down from other 1-1/2”x5”x7” canvas and apply a
5/8”-wide horizontal strip; apply a random vertical pattern down 3/4”x5”x7” canvas. Let dry.
- 2. Base all canvases Buttermilk. Print out patterns. Transfer basic details: vase onto vase canvas; leaf pattern onto 4” square canvas; medallion onto 4”x5” canvas; pear onto pear canvas; cherries onto cherry canvas.
- 1. Use brush that best fits area being
painted unless otherwise specified.
- 1. Mix A = Snow White + Buttermilk (4:1)
- 2. Mix B = Gel Stain + Camel (1:1)
- 1. Tape 2” border along bottom of canvas;
base border Camel. Use Green Mist to stencil fleur-de-lis across border. Use larger scroll stencil to stencil Dk.
Chocolate and then Charcoal Grey here and there along left side. Dry brush Buttermilk here and there over stencil work. Use wash of Antique Rose, Green Mist, and Dk. Chocolate to slip-slap around vase and pear.
- 2. Base vase with equal mix of Buttermilk
+ Snow White. Shade all areas with
equal mix of Camel + Dk. Chocolate;
walk shading out to meet highlighted
area. Use Dk. Chocolate to repeat
shading, walking shading out a little
less; repeat again with Charcoal Grey.
Use #2 flat shader and Dk. Chocolate
to paint random “age marks”; darken
centers with Charcoal Grey. Use Mix A
to highlight vase.
- 3. Base pear with equal mix of Cadmium
Yellow + Snow White. Shade with equal mix of Camel + Dk. Chocolate; walk shading out to meet highlighted area. In same manner as vase; shade again with Dk. Chocolate and then again with Charcoal Grey. Use Mix A to highlight.
- 4. Use wash of Antique Rose to slip-slap
here and there on vase and pear; repeat
with wash of Green Mist on vase only.
- 5. Use Charcoal Grey to line pear stem;
loosely line around pear and vase, and
inside vase. Shade Charcoal Grey under
vase and pear. Use Mix A to highlight
a little under vase and to right of pear; lightly highlight stem.
- 6. For leaves, use wet-into-wet technique.
Use #4 flat shader and mix of Hauser
Dk. Green + Black Green (2:1) to
loosely stroke in leaves; while wet, use
mix of Hauser Lt. Green and Crimson
Tide (3:1) to over stroke, then use
Hauser Lt. Green mix + tch. of Snow
White to over stroke again. Let dry.
Use Hauser Dk. Green mix and palette
knife to add branches here and there;
shade bottom of leaves next to vase.
- 1. Use #12 flat shader and wash of Crimson Tide to slip-slap around pear; repeat with wash of Green Mist and then with wash of Dk. Chocolate.
- 2. Paint pear in same manner as pear above. Use wash of Antique Rose to slip-slap here and there.
- 3. Base leaves with mix of Hauser Lt. Green + tch. of Crimson Tide; use 1/4”
angle shader and mix of Avocado + Black Green (2:1) to shade and to add veins. Use equal mix of basecoat mix + Snow White to highlight. Use liner to paint stems with shading mix; highlight with highlighting mix.
- 4. Tape off design along top edge of
bottom border; use Mix B to spread over border. Use damp paper towel to remove stain for desired effect. Remove tape.
Small Vertical Scoll (6” square canvas)
- 1. Tape off a 1/8” vertical strip 1” from
right side of canvas extending strip over both edges. In same manner, tape off a 5/8” vertical strip 2” from first strip. Use equal mix of Celery Green + Green Mist to paint strips. Use smaller scroll stencil and Dk. Chocolate to stencil between strips, then stencil Charcoal Grey here and there. Remove tape and tape off along outer edges of vertical strips. Use Mix B to stain over strips and stenciled area; wipe off with damp paper towel for desired effect. Remove tape. Let dry.
- 2. Tape off design area; use wash of
Antique Rose and Green Mist to slipslap
canvas here and there.
- 1. Tape off inside diamond and tape off
1/2”-wide borders along top and bottom
of canvas. Use mix of Avocado + Black
Green (2:1) to base around diamond
and over sides. Follow manufacturer’s
directions to apply crackle medium
over paint. Apply equal mix of Celery Green + Green Mist over crackle. Remove tape.
- 2. Use Antique Rose to paint behind medallion. Use wash of Dk. Chocolate to slip-slap behind medallion. Base inside
medallion Camel and outside Gingerbread; shade both with Dk. Chocolate and highlight with equal mix of Camel + Snow White. Loosely line Dk.
Chocolate around medallion. Use wash of Antique Rose and Green Mist to slip-slap here and there around outside and inside medallion.
Large Scroll Canvas
- 1. Use larger scroll stencil to stencil
Dk. Chocolate then Charcoal Grey
here and there on 3/4”X5”x7” canvas
with random textured pattern. Use
wash of Antique Rose to slip-slap here
and there around scroll.
- 2. Apply tape 3/8” from left side and 1”
from right side of canvas. Use equal
mix of Dk. Chocolate + Camel then mix with equal amount of gel stain to stain within taped areas; remove tape immediately and wipe hard stained edges.
- 1. Use wash of Crimson Tide and Green Mist to slip-slap around leaves and stem. Paint leaves in same manner as those on “Pear Canvas”. Use mix of Hauser Lt. Green + Crimson Tide + Cadmium Yellow (1:2:1) to paint stem.
- 1. Tape off 1”-wide vertical strips
beginning at bottom of textured band,
spacing each 1/2” apart. Use stencil
brush to base wide stripes Green Mist.
Tape off canvas along edges of textured
band; stencil band with small scroll
pattern and Terra Cotta. Stain with
Camel then Dk. Chocolate. Remove tape. Stain over striped area with Camel.
- 2. Use wash of Antique Rose, Green Mist,
and equal mix of Deep Midnight Blue +
Heritage Brick to slip-slap here and there around cherries. Base cherries Antique Rose; shade Crimson Tide and highlight with mix of Antique Rose + Snow White (1:4). Use dark mix to shade again; line stems and loosely line around cherries. Highlight stems Buttermilk.
- 1. Use photo as guide to assemble grouping. See Fig. 1. Cut wooden sheets
in strips long enough to fit across
stretcher bars of adjoining canvases;
screw strips in place. Screw hangers in
place. Thread craft wire through hanger;
twist ends securely onto hanger.