Go Green: Main Street Market
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics: Antique Green, Bleached Sand, Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber, Canyon Orange, Celery Green, Cocoa, Desert Sand, Evergreen, Flesh
Tone, Golden Straw, Gooseberry Pink, Hauser Light Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Sable Brown, Toffee,
Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Aqualon: Liner, Series R2595, #1;
Royal Fusion: Filbert, Series R3170, #6, #8
- Smooth cardboard
- Mylar plastic sheet or projector
- Black Earthwise bag
- 1. This entire project is painted using a special dry brushing technique. To achieve this technique a dark textured surface is needed, normally applied using a foam roller. In this case, the Earthwise bags are the textured surface. The textured surface allows paints to catch onto raised areas and the dark surface is required for the background or deepest shadow. A stiff filbert is used to apply subsequent colors that are lighter and lighter
in value. With each layer of lighter color you will cover less and less area achieving a gradual increase in value and ending at the brightest point on the subject. To load filbert, rinse brush in water and blot dry. Set
bristles into edge of paint, flatten brush, and pull out from pile; dust off only tip of brush onto paper towel. Use gentle pressure (tickling) to stroke brush onto surface; use shape following strokes and light pressure to continue to skim colors over surface where color is brightest or strongest.
- 1. (Note: It is not necessary to use fabric
paints, unless you prefer to keep fabric soft.) Cut cardboard to fit inside bag. Use Lamp Black to paint over lettering using as many coats as needed for complete coverage. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto side of bag without print using heavy pressure. (Note: Artist recommends using mylar or transparency sheet to trace patterns onto bag to prevent poking holes through transfer paper while transferring patterns.)
- 1. Use special dry brushing technique
- 1. Use Evergreen to stroke all green areas of building. Strengthen with Antique Green highlights then Celery Green to define molding on building; increase color as desired.
- 1. Stroke white stripes Desert Sand; strengthen with Bleached Sand highlights. Stroke blue stripes Williamsburg Blue allowing scant space between white and blue stripes so black background shows; strengthen with Winter Blue highlights keeping colors lightest near front of awning. Stroke ruffles Williamsburg Blue. Use Bleached Sand to line strong highlight across awnings edge.
- 1. Line Cocoa; strengthen with Golden
- 1. Stroke Burnt Umber. Stroke staves Sable
Brown highlights, then increase strength
with Toffee. Stroke bands Williamsburg
Blue; strengthen with Winter Blue
- 1. Stroke Williamsburg Blue; strengthen with Winter Blue highlights.
- 1. Stroke Desert Sand; strengthen with
Bleached Sand highlights. Use thinned
Lamp Black to add lettering. Stroke sticks Burnt Umber, strengthen with Sable Brown highlights.
Pumpkins and Tomatoes
- 1. Stroke Burnt Orange; strengthen with
Canyon Orange highlights then with
Golden Straw. Stroke stems Burnt
Umber; strengthen with Sable Brown
- 1. Stroke husk Evergreen; strengthen with
Hauser Lt. Green highlights then with Golden Straw. Stroke corn Golden Straw.
Use Hauser Lt. Green to line corn silk.
- 1. Stroke Evergreen; strengthen with Hauser
Lt. Green highlights. Strengthen again with Hauser Lt. Green. Add thinned Evergreen vertical squiggles.
- 1. Stroke stems and leaves Evergreen;
strengthen with Hauser Lt. Green
highlights. Line petals Golden Straw.
Stroke centers Burnt Umber; strengthen
with Cocoa highlights.
Floral and Meat Windows
- 1. For floral window, dab in flowers of
Williamsburg Blue, Burnt Orange, and Cocoa. For meat window stroke Burnt Umber; strengthen with Sable Brown highlights. (Note: These are only impressions of meats hanging in butcher area of shop.) Streak windows Williamsburg Blue. For suggestive wording, line Cocoa; strengthen with Golden Straw highlights.
- 1. Stroke body Burnt Umber; strengthen
with Cocoa highlights then with Golden
Straw. Stroke nose Lamp Black; stroke
eye Bleached Sand and add Lamp Black
detailing. For coat and hat, stroke Desert Sand; strengthen with Bleached Sand highlights. Stroke scarf Williamsburg Blue; strengthen with Winter Blue highlights then with Bleached Sand. Stroke bread Burnt Umber; strengthen with Cocoa highlights then with Toffee.
- 1. Stroke face Flesh Tone; accent with
Gooseberry Pink. Stroke hair Golden
Straw; strengthen with Bleached Sand
highlights. Dot eye Lamp Black and paint
teeth Bleached Sand. Stroke coat and hat
Desert Sand; strengthen with Bleached
Sand highlights. For scarf and pants,
stroke Williamsburg Blue; strengthen with Winter Blue highlights then with Bleached Sand. For shoes, side load Williamsburg Blue to only shade shape.
- 1. Stroke Burnt Umber; strengthen with
Sable Brown highlights. Stroke bread
Burnt Umber; strengthen with Cocoa and Toffee highlights. Stroke wine bottle Evergreen; highlight Golden Straw.
- 1. Allow paints to cure for several days