Fancy Felt Stockings
- SNOWMAN STOCKING:
- WoolFelt (National Nonwovens): Light Blue; Black; White; Orange; Red; Purple
- Buttons: black: shank, 1", two; two-hole, five; two-hole, 1/4"; orange shank, 1/2", two; 1/4"; pearl shank, 1/2" two
- VISIONS OF SUGARPLUMS STOCKING:
- WoolFelt (National Nonwovens): Light Green; Pink; White; Red; Beige; Dark Brown; Yellow
- Buttons: red shank, 7/8"; yellow two-hole, 1/2", two; white, 1/4", two; green two-hole, 1/4", nine
- Felt flower buttons: small, two; large, one
- Flower sequins: white; pink
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): white; pink; light green
- FOR BOTH:
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Pinking shears
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Both stocking share the same basic construction, but use different patterns and embellishments.
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut front and back of the stocking from Light Green felt for Sugar Plum stocking and Light Blue for snowman stocking. Cut decorative appliqué pieces as indicated.
- 2. Lay front stocking piece on work surface, and set back piece aside. Arrange and pin snowman's head, body and arms to stocking front, aligning them right edge. Position and pin donut and cupcake base, cookies, round section of mints to stocking front as shown. Machine sew outside edges of all these pieces onto stocking front. Make additional decorative seams to line cupcake piece.
- 3. Pin hat, nose, scarf, and bird pieces over snowman base. Pin frosting sections to donut, cupcake and cookie, and red sections onto round mint base. Use matching thread to hand sew these appliqué pieces in place.
- 4. Sew felt flower with bead center to snowman's hat, and felt button flower and button center to top of cupcake. Sew two small felt flowers and button centers to sweets as shown.
- 5. Sew remaining buttons to snowman: two black eyes, two orange buttons stacked down chest, black bird eye, and a scattering of five blue buttons to the scarf. Sew the following buttons onto the sugarplum stocking: green buttons to cupcake frosting and two decorative arrangements of stacked of yellow and seven green buttons.
- 6. Use three strands of white floss to embroider four snowflakes on the snowman's purple scarf as shown. Each snowflake is like an elaborate cross-stitch and is made of four intersecting stitches. Use three strands of pink floss to make decorative stitches around gingerbread cookies, wrist and ankles, and use the white floss to zigzag stitch hair and mouth.
- 7. Sew pearl bead berries around the bird's beak. Continue using the lightweight needle to add sequins and beads to cookies on sugarplum stocking. When incorporating sequins into your stitches, bring needle up through the underside, string sequin and bead onto needle, and bring needle back through sequin. The bead anchors the sequin in place.
- 8. Hand sew small ends of mint wrappers to either side of the mints. Use six strands of black floss to stitch snowman's smile, tan floss to stitch bird's feet and mint green floss to straight stitch pine needles around pearl beads.