- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics:
Bahama Blue, Black Plum, Blue
Haze Light, Butter, Cadmium
Orange, Citron Green, Dark
Chocolate, Dioxazine Purple, French
Vanilla, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser
Light Green, Hauser Medium Green,
Honey Brown, Lamp (Ebony) Black,
Lavender, Lemon Yellow, Medium
Flesh, Melon, Moon Yellow, Napthol
Red, Peony Pink, Red Violet, Snow
(Titanium) White, Soft Sage, Terra
Cotta, Traditional Burnt Sienna,
Victorian Blue; Hot Shots: Torrid Orange
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader (or Chisel Blender), #4, #5, #6, #7, #8; Liner, #5/0, #10/0; Decorator Collection: Dry Brush, Series 200, #12, #14
- Candy Dish for Special Sweets! from
Turn of the Century
- DecoArt: Americana Wood Sealer;
Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher,
Matte; Easy Float
- 1. Remove knob and screw from lid; set aside. Sand surface; wipe dust. Follow manufacturer's directions to apply wood sealer on surface; let dry. Use piece of brown paper sack to smooth lightly; wipe clean.
- 2. Pour quarter-size puddles of following
colors on palette: Med. Flesh, French
Vanilla, and Soft Sage. Dip tip of #14
dry brush into Med. Flesh and wipe
excess off onto paper towel; dry brush
small area (an inch or so) around center top of lid avoiding screw hole
and keeping color soft and sheer. (Note: It is alright if wood shows
through a bit.) Using dirty brush, dip
tip of brush into French Vanilla; repeat
process applying paint next to first
color, blending edges so there is no
division, and working out. Repeat
process again using Soft Sage, working to outer edges of center area. (Note: If too much paint is on brush, wipe excess off onto paper towel, but do not clean brush between colors.) Let dry. Use brown paper sack piece to smooth lightly; wipe clean.
- 3. Use Blue Haze Lt. to paint outer rim
edges and bottom of lid for opaque
coverage. Smooth and wipe clean.
- 4. Print out pattern. Cut small triangle sections from pattern and join cut edges; this will help pattern lie flat on slightly convex lid. Transfer basic pattern lines onto surface. (Transfer details as needed.)
Stems and Vines
- 1. Use 5/0 liner and thinned Hauser Med.
Green to base each; shade Hauser Dk.
Green and highlight Hauser Lt. Green.
Highlight again with Citron Green.
- 1. Use #4 shader (or chisel blender) and Hauser Lt. Green to base float with brush mix of Hauser Med. Green and Hauser Dk. Green, and highlight Citron Green.
- 1. Base Hauser Med. Green; shade Hauser Dk. Green and highlight Hauser Lt. Green. Highlight again with Citron Green.
- 1. Base Lavender. Use Dioxazine Purple to line comma strokes along top edge pulling from outer edges in toward center. Add Cadmium Orange dot at top center between comma strokes.
- 1. Base petals Butter; lightly shade washy Citron Green along base of petals. Highlight petal ends Snow White; repeat two to three times to build intensity.
- 1. Base Peony Pink; shade Napthol Red and repeat two to three times to build intensity. Shade again with Red Violet.
Highlight center top edge Melon. Paint
stamen Lamp Black.
Large Yellow Blossoms
- 1. Base petals Moon Yellow; shade Honey Brown on petals next to flower center. Highlight petal ends Lemon Yellow; repeat two to three times to build intensity. Use Butter to add center omma stroke in petals. Add three Snow White dots to outer edge of petals. Base flower center Traditional Burnt Sienna; shade Dk. Chocolate along bottom edges and highlight Terra Cotta along top. Add Butter highlight shine at top of flower center.
- 1. Use Victorian Blue to form circular five
dot petals; let dry. Add tiny Bahama
Blue highlight dots. Dot flower center
- 1. Base bodies Cadmium Orange; lightly
shade Black Plum along bottom edge and highlight Torrid Orange along top repeating two to three times to build
intensity. Use Lamp Black to paint head, antennae, and dots on body. Dot eye Butter.
- 1. Apply two to three finishing coats. Replace knob.