Clay Flower Hair Accessories
- Staedtler FIMO Translucent Clay
- Barrettes or combs of choice
- Decorating chalks
- Jacquard Products Pearlescent Powdered Pigment
- Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
ruler, craft knife, paintbrush, oven, parchment-lined baking sheet, toothpick
- 1. Sizes are: flowers, 1/2”-3/4” diameter; leaves, 1” long
- 1. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to condition clay. Roll into 3” long, 1/4” diameter snake; cut into 1/4” long sections. Roll each section into ball.
- 2. For rose center or rosebud, see Figure 1. Flatten ball and stretch into 1/4”x1” rectangle. Pinch right edge until thin and “ruffled.” Roll clay from left to right, forming “bud”.
- 3. For petals, flatten seven balls (for large roses) or five balls (for small roses); pinch edges to ruffle. Press petals one at a time to bud, proceeding in clockwise direction.
- 4. Dip paintbrush into chalk. Apply chalk to petals, working from outer edges toward petal center. Apply pearlescent powder to petals as desired. Trim bottom of rose flat using craft knife.
- 5. For leaves, flatten balls; shape into teardrops. Gently indent vein lines in leaves with toothpick. Shape as desired. Dust center with light green chalk and edges with dark green. Apply pearlescent powder as desired.
- 6. Place finished pieces on baking sheet. Bake at 265° for 35 minutes. Remove; let cool. Adhere to hair accessories as desired.