Ribbon-Embroidered Jewelry Bag
- White fabrics: moiré, 1/4 yd.; satin, 1/2 yd.; medium-weight fleece, 1/4 yd.
- Silk embroidery ribbon, 4mm wide: pale grass green, 3/4 yd.; periwinkle, 1 yd.; light pink, 1 yd.
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Light Pink, Avocado Green
- White satin ribbon: 5/8”-wide, 3/4 yd.; 3/8”-wide double-sided, 1/2 yd.
- White satin twisted bias cord, 3/16” diameter, 1-1/2 yds.
- Lavender/pink multicolored seed beads
- Hook-and-loop tape, 1/8”-wide, 2/3 yd.
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Chenille needle, #22
- Air-soluble marker
scissors, ruler, pencil, straight pins
Embroidering the Bag
- 1. Cut a 9”x13” rectangle from moiré fabric. Slightly round edges of one 9” end (will become front “flap”).
- 2. Print out pattern. To make initial pattern, draw 1-1/4” to 1-1/2” tall initial on paper. Use air-soluble marker to transfer initial and floral motifs to rounded end of fabric, centering initial between motifs.
- 3. Print the Ribbon Embroidery Tutorial listed as a link under Patterns at the end of this project to use as a reference. Thread needle. Insert ribbon end through eye of needle, pulling through 3” length. Pierce 3” length with needle, about 1/2” from end. (See Fig. 1). Pull back on opposite end until it locks securely around eye of needle.
- 4. To secure ribbon, insert needle through fabric, leaving a 1/2” length at back. When taking first few stitches, catch the length with needle at back.
- 5. When finished stitching design, tie a slip knot to secure ribbon at back. (Note: Do not drag ribbon from one design to next. Fasten off and begin next design with new ribbon.)
- 6. For initial, use Light Pink floss and chain stitch to embroider letter, working from bottom to top. For stems, use Avocado Green and stem stitch. For buds, use periwinkle silk ribbon and lazy daisy stitch.
- 7. For spider web rose, use Light Pink floss for base and light pink silk ribbon for rose. For leaves, use pale grass green silk ribbon and lazy daisy stitch. Attach beads with white thread, sewing through each bead twice.
Sewing the Jewelry Bag
- 1. For lining, cut one 9”x13” rectangle from satin fabric and one from fleece. Set aside.
- 2. For pockets, cut three 8”x9” rectangles from satin fabric and three 3-1/2”x8” rectangles from fleece. Fold each satin pocket in half to measure 4”x9”; mark center. Open and place fleece rectangle on center line, just inside 1/2” seam allowance. Fold satin again; pin along folded edge.
- 3. Cut three 8” lengths from hook-and-loop tape. Center and sew “soft” half of each tape strip along back folded edge of one pocket. Cut a 9” length from 5/8”-wide ribbon; sew to pocket front over hook-and-loop tape stitching, sewing close to ribbon edges. Set pockets aside.
- 4. For lining, mark 9”x13” satin rectangle at 4”, 4-3/4”, 8-1/8”, and 9” points along 13” edges, measuring from straight edge up toward rounded edge. Sew remaining hook-and-loop tape halves to lining just below 4”, 8-1/8”, and just above 9” marks.
- 5. Place one pocket at top edge (opening downward) and one at bottom edge, matching hook-and-loop tape; pin to secure. Mark 1/2” from bottom of remaining pocket. With hook-and-loop tape facing up, align pocket marking with 4-3/4” marking on lining. Sew bottom seam of pocket, stitching twice for added reinforcement. Fold pocket up, aligning with hook-and-loop tape. Baste or stitch around edges of lining/pockets for stability.
- 6. Baste fleece rectangle to wrong side of embroidered front. Cut two 9” lengths from 3/8”-wide ribbon. Pin one length to center front. Set aside remaining length.
- 7. Pin straight edge of bias cord around front of bag; sew in place. Place front/fleece and lining together with right sides together; pin to secure. Sew together just inside cording seam line; leave bottom open for turning. Clip corners and trim seams; turn right side out. Slipstitch opening closed.
- 8. Fold bag into thirds and mark center point of front; unfold. Center remaining ribbon length 4” from bottom edge of front on right side; pin to secure. Fold again to check ribbon placement. Sew in place through all layers of fabric. Fold bag and tie ribbon to close.