Tweed Pants Purse
- Brown tweed pants
- Lining fabric, 1/2 yd. for women’s size 8 (purchase additional fabric for larger size)
- Assorted flat buttons
- Brown ribbon: grosgrain, 1-1/2”; satin, 7/8”
- Medium-weight interfacing
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
scissors, ruler, pencil, straight pins, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using 1/4” seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed.
- 1. Cut around pants the length from top of pants to crotch seam. (Note: Sample project was cut 10-1/2” from top of pants.) Stitching under zipper is rounded. Tear out stitching under zipper and sew a straight seam.
- 2. Fold lining fabric in half with right side facing in. Place cut pants shape with zipper at center front, on top of lining. Draw around edge of pants on lining with pencil. Remove pants from lining. Add 1/4” to top and side edges of drawn pants shape on lining. Cut out pants shape from folded fabric to make lining front and back. Cut two more pants shapes from interfacing. Baste interfacing shapes to wrong sides of lining shapes.
- 3. Turn pants inside out. With right sides facing, sew pants across bottom. Flatten one corner of pants to create a triangular point, aligning side seam with bottom corner seam. Mark a 5” line perpendicular to seam, 2-1/2” from point with pencil. Stitch along line. (Fig. 1) Trim triangle at corner, 1/4” from stitching. Repeat for remaining corner. Turn pants right side out.
- 4. Sew lining shapes together along the side and bottom edges, and finish corners in same way as pants. Do not turn lining right side out.
- 5. Cut two 2-1/2”x16” handles from pants fabric and interfacing. Baste interfacing to wrong side of fabric handles. Sew buttons in a line to center front of handles, beginning and ending 1-1/4” from ends. Sew buttons in a line to belt loops.
- 6. Fold and press one long edge of each handle over 3/4”. Fold and press opposite long edge of each handle over 1/4” to wrong side, then fold 1/2” more. Hand sew handles along 1/4” folded edge, using whipstitch. Securely sew assembled handles symmetrically to inside top front and back of bag, 1” from ends at placement of belt loops in front.
- 7. Fold and press top edge of lining over 1/2” to wrong side. With wrong sides of lining facing out, place lining in pants. Hand sew folded edge of lining to top edge of pants, using whipstitch.
- 8. Thread ribbons through belt loops on purse and tie bow in front. Sew center of bow to purse.