- Heavyweight cotton fabrics: flower, 1/2 yd.; stripe, 1 yd.
- Lightweight cotton fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Grosgrain ribbon, 1"-wide, 9" length
- Flat buttons, 5/8", six; 1", two
- Sewing machine and thread
scissors, ruler, straight pins, iron and ironing board, sewing needle
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, 1/4" from edges, pinning and pressing as needed.
- 1. For bag front and back, cut two 14-1/2"x15-1/2" flower fabric rectangles. For lining, cut two more 14-1/2"x15-1/2" rectangles from stripe fabric. Using dash lines in Fig. 1 as guide, trim rectangle sides on angle and round bottom corners. (Note: Use first rectangle as guide to trim remaining rectangle for exact match.)
- 2. For pocket, cut two 7-1/2"x8" lightweight fabric rectangles; round bottom corners. Sew pocket pieces together, leaving 3" opening along one edge for turning. Trim corners and turn right side out. Hand sew opening closed. Sewing close to top and bottom edges, sew ribbon across top of pocket with ends even at sides. Fold ribbon ends over to back. Make 2" tuck at center top of pocket. Sew 1" button to secure tuck. Sew pocket to center of bag front, close to side and bottom edges.
- 3. Cut two 4-1/2"x42" stripe fabric rectangles. Sew one rectangle around sides and bottom of bag front. Sew back of bag to opposite side of rectangle. Sew remaining stripe rectangle to lining shapes in same way, leaving 6" opening at bottom of one side for turning. Sew lining to front and back of bag along top edge. Turn bag right side out through opening in lining; sew lining opening closed.
- 4. For handles, cut four 4-1/2"x11-1/2" stripe fabric rectangles. Sew rectangles together in pairs, leaving 3” opening on one side of each pair for turning. Trim corners at angle. Turn right side out and hand sew openings closed. Overlap 1" of handles over top sides of bag and sew three 5/8" buttons across bottom of each handle, attaching handles to bag. Overlap 1" at top of handles, and make tuck at center. Sew 1" button to tuck to attach handles.
- 1. For perfectly rounded corners, use circle templates to draw line before trimming.
- 2. Cut all striped fabric pieces with stripes running widthwise across rectangles for consistency.