Recycled Butterfly Mobile
- Recycled plastic milk jug
- Polyform Sculpey Pluffy Clay: Green, Yellow, Pink
- Ribbon, 1/8”-wide: white, blue
- White felt, scraps
- Cotton balls
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Winter Blue, Bahama Blue, Marigold, Wild Orchid, Cool White; Star Lite Varnish
- Fingernail polish remover
- Thick white tacky glue
scissors, ruler, black marker, toothpick, paper plate for pallete, soft cloth, sponge, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Roll tiny balls of Pink clay and flatten on work surface. Roll smaller balls of Yellow clay and press on centers of Pink clay balls; flatten. Roll nine Green clay ovals (butterfly bodies). Mark body segments using toothpick. Place clay pieces onto parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in oven at 275ºF for five minutes. Let cool.
- Measure down 3-1/2” from cap on jug. Use marker to mark measurement around entire jug. Use scissors to cut section from rest of jug. Cut off handle. Set aside bottom portion of jug (for butterflies). Pour small amount of Ocean Blue and Winter Blue on paper plate. Use sponge to dab in each color and then on jug lid and cap. Let dry.
- Print out patterns. Place butterfly patterns on flat portion of cut jug and trace around using permanent marker. Trace three large and six small butterflies on surface; cut out using scissors.
- Paint one large and two small butterflies Wild Orchid, Bahama Blue, and Marigold. Dot front and back of each butterfly Cool White. Let dry. Use sponge to dab Marigold on blue and purple butterflies. Let dry. Use nail polish remover and soft cloth to remove black marker if needed.
- Use craft brush to apply varnish to front of butterflies. Let dry and apply to other side. After each side is completely dry, use marker to draw wiggle line around edge of each butterfly.
- Adhere baked pink clay circles onto butterflies. Cut four 12” ribbon lengths. Lay one large butterfly on work surface and two small ones below it, leaving about 1” between them. Apply glue to center of each butterfly. Press ribbon down centers of each butterfly. Apply glue to green clay bodies and press over ribbon. Repeat process for other butterflies. Let dry.
- Tie remaining ribbon in knot. Wrap around neck of milk jug. Add some glue around rim of jug; screw cap on tightly. Position milk jug on work area. Measure equally around lid and adhere other end of ribbon with butterflies to edges of lid. Cut small scraps of white felt and adhere over ribbon ends. Apply glue around edge of lid and press on cotton balls, forming clouds, covering ribbon and felt ends. Let dry. Add more glue under lid and press on more cotton balls. Let dry before hanging.