Quilted Market Bag
- Coordinating-print cotton fabrics, 1/2 yd. each, six
- Heavyweight interfacing, 1/4 yd.
- Cotton quilt batting, 1 yd.
- Button, 1-1/2”
- Button thread to match fabric
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, rotary cutter and mat, ruler, pins, iron and pressing surface
- Cut the following from fabric: fourteen 4”x16-1/2” strips (panels), four 4-1/2”x12-1/2” strips (sides), two 2-1/2”x16” strips (straps), 5”x16-1/2” (inside bottom). Cut two 1”x16” strips (straps) and 4”x15-1/2” (inside bottom) from interfacing. Cut two 4-1/2”x12-1/2” strips (sides) and seven 5”x16-1/2” strips (panels) from batting.
- Sandwich one 5”x16-1/2” batting strip between two 5”x16-1/2” fabric strips; secure with pins. Repeat for remaining fabrics and batting. Machine sew “X”s across each fabric/batting sandwich.
- With right sides together and using 1/2” seam allowance, machine sew 16-1/2” quilted strips together, creating one long fabric of seven panels. Set aside.
- Carefully cut at 1/2” intervals, close to seam line, along each 16-1/2” panel creating fringe.
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3 using 4-1/2”x12-1/2” strips of batting and fabric. (These strips will be sides of bag.)
- Fold seven panels so one panel is on bottom. Pin one side panel to each side of bag. Using 1/2” seam allowance, machine sew panels to side panels. Repeat Step 4 to cut fringe.
- Using 1/2” seam allowance, machine sew around top of bag. Cut at 1/2” intervals for fringe.
- For handles, fold in 1/2” on each side and on end of 2-1/2” strips. Press. Position each interfacing strip between pressed fabric strip; adhere seam using fabric glue. Machine sew 1/8” from edges on each handle. Pin and sew one handle onto each side of bag, about 4” in from each side edge.
- For closure, cut 1-1/4”x10” strip. Press each side, creating 1/2”-wide strip. Fold closure strip in half and machine sew to one side of bag. Fold loop closure to other side of bag. Using button thread, sew button on bag. Place loop around button.
- Use cold setting on washing machine, machine wash bag. Remove. Dry in dryer until almost dry. (Fringe should be fluffy.)
- Center 4”x15-1/2” interfacing onto 5”x16-1/2” fabric. Fold and press fabric around interfacing (including ends); pin to secure. Machine sew 1/4” from edge and position inside of bag (with fabric side up).