Flowers from my Garden Quilt
- Cotton fabrics: green tone-on-tone, 2-1/2 yds.; white, 2-1/2 yds.; light green, 8”x10”; colorful print scraps, 12
- Cotton backing fabric, 65”x65”
- The Warm Co. Warm and White Batting, 65”x65”
- The Warm Co. Steam-A-Seam 2 Double Stick Fusible Webbing, 1 pkg.
- Rotary cutter and mat
pen, scissors, ruler, iron and pressing surface
- Make nine patches and first border. Cut 10 strips green tone-on-tone and 8 strips white fabric 3-1/2”x40” (width of fabric). Sew two green and one white strip together to form Strip Set A (make four). Sew two white and one green strip together to form Strip Set B (make two). See Fig 1. Press all seams toward green fabric. Cut all Strip Set A at 3-1/2” intervals to make 36 A units. Cut all Strip Set B at 3-1/2” intervals to make 25 B units. See Fig. 2. Arrange 26 A units and 13 B units and sew into 13 nine-patch blocks. See Fig. 3. Arrange remaining A and B units to create borders. See Figs. 4 and 5. It is necessary to remove one white square from end of each top and bottom border.
- Make appliqué blocks. Cut twelve 9-1/2” white squares. Print out patterns. Trace flower petal onto paper side of fusible adhesive 60 times, leaving 1/4” space around each shape. Cut around each petal. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse five petals to wrong side of each flower fabric. Cut out on traced lines. Remove paper from pieces. Repeat process to trace and cut 12 green tone-on-tone and 12 light green circles. Arrange one large circle on center of white square. Position petals around circle so that curved edge is just under edge of green circle. Center small circle on top of large circle. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse flowers to white background. Use hand or machine blanket stitch to secure.
- Alternate nine-patch and appliqué blocks using inset photo as guide. Sew together into rows, then sew rows together to form quilt top. Attach pieced borders to sides of quilt, then attach top and bottom borders.
- Cut six 2-1/2”xwidth of fabric strips from white fabric. Sew strips together on short ends to form long strip. Press seams open. Cut two 51-1/2” lengths from strip. Sew to top and bottom edges of quilt top. Cut two 56-1/2” lengths from strip; sew to sides of quilt top. Press all border seams away from center.
- Cut six 3-1/2”xwidth of fabric strips from green tone-on-tone fabric. Sew strips together on short ends to form long strip. Press seams open. Cut two 56-1/2” lengths from strip; sew to top and bottom edges of quilt top. Cut two 61-1/2” lengths from strip; sew to sides of quilt top. Press all border seams away from center.
- Layer quilt top, batting, and backing together. Quilt as desired. Sample was quilted using loose echo-style quilting around flowers and freehand leaves in nine-patch blocks.
- For binding, cut seven 2-1/2”xwidth of fabric strips from green tone-on-tone fabric. Sew on short ends to make long strip. Fold strip in half and press to make long strip measuring 1-1/4”-wide. Apply binding to quilt.