Painted Welcome Chalkboard
- Wooden plaque, 14”x9”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Baby Blue, Bahama Blue, Bright Green, Bubblegum Pink, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Orange, Cool White, Fawn, Hauser Dark Green, Leaf Green, Lemon Yellow, Melon, Moon Yellow, Red Violet, Sable Brown, Sour Apple, True Blue
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7050 Script Liner 10/0; Series 7300 Flat Shaders #6, #10; Series 7350 Liners #2, #4; Series 7400 Angulars 1/4”, 1/8”, 1/2”; Series 7500 Filbert #4; Series 7550 Flat Glaze 1”; Series JSL Jackie Shaw Liner #2; Series 270 Oval Mop 1/2”
- DecoArt: Americana Multi-Purpose Sealer, Easy Float, Chalkboard Paint, Duraclear Matte Varnish
palette paper, tracing paper, black permanent pen, double-ended stylus, sandpaper, soft cloth, ruler, pencil, old toothbrush, white and gray graphite paper, painter’s tape, white eraser, newspaper
- 1. Use angular brushes to float/shade and float highlight. Use mop brush to soften water edge of floats. Use Easy Float and water for side-loading and liner work if desired.
- 1. Seal entire plaque with multi-purpose sealer. Let dry. Sand and wipe clean. Basecoat entire plaque Fawn using 1” flat. Let dry; sand lightly and wipe clean.
- 2. Print out patterns. Trace patterns onto tracing paper. Use stylus and gray graphite paper to trace vines, flower patterns, and lettering onto plaque. (Note: Dots on pattern are to show placement of design elements on plaque.)
- 3. Flyspeck front of plaque Burnt Umber using old celan toothbrush. Let dry. Float/shade Sable Brown around top edges of plaque using 1/4" angular shader. Extend float. Let dry. Darken shading with float of Burnt Umber. Paint center edges Melon; float back-to-back float on each corner in center area Cadmium Orange. Use #4 filbert and Bubblegum Pink to drybrush center areas between corner sections. Let dry.
- 4. For large five-petal flower, use #4 filbert to paint petals Melon. Use 10/0 liner to line in petal details with thinned Cadmium Orange; darken gather with (3:1) mixture of Cadmium Orange + Red Violet. Let dry. Float/shade bottom of petals with (3:1) mixture Cadmium Orange + Red Violet. Paint flower center Moon Yellow. Crosshatch lines in center of flower Cadmium Orange and then below lines Red Violet. Float/shade one side of inside center edge Cadmium Orange. Let dry. Paint circle around flower center Baby Blue; paint smaller circle next to center True Blue. Let dry. Push-hard dot circle around flower center with Cadmium Orange. To push-hard dot, use bottom of brush handle to make larger dot; when almost dry, use large end of stylus to dot on top of first dot while applying pressure. Add second push-hard dot of Lemon Yellow. Let dry. Use stylus to add Cool White double dots around petal edges; let dry and tap smaller Lemon Yellow dot slightly above white dot. Let dry.
- 5. For vines, use #2 JS liner and thinned Leaf Green to draw vines and swirls. Shade along vine Hauser Dark Green; highlight outer edges of swirls Sour Apple.
- 6. For leaves, basecoat Bright Green. Line in stems Leaf Green. Float/shade bottom of leaves Hauser Dark Green. Overstroke top edge of leaves with Bright Green highlight; repeat with Sour Apple.
- 7. For stroke leaves, use #2 liner and Leaf Green, loaded again with Sour Apple, to stroke remaining leaves on pattern. Let dry. Line in vein lines Hauser Dark Green.
- 8. For berries on swirls, paint stems Leaf Green. Dot in blueberries True Blue; let dry. Add smaller dot on centers Melon. Let dry.
- 9. For three-petal blue flower, paint petals Baby Blue. Float/shade around bottom of petals True Blue; highlight top edges of petals Bahama Blue. Let dry. Paint centers Moon Yellow. Float/shade bottom of centers Cadmium Orange; add gather lines. Outline petals Cool White.
- 10. For yellow flower with crosshatching, paint bottom of flower Melon; crosshatch like in Step 4. Paint center stripe Baby Blue; drybrush outside edges True Blue. Drybrush Bahama Blue highlight on center; highlight again Cool White. Paint top area Moon Yellow. Float/shade along bottom Cadmium Orange; float highlight across four points Lemon Yellow. Float/shade bottom section Cadmium Orange; outline side edges of flower (3:1) mixture of Cadmium Orange + Red Violet. Overstroke top edge of points Cool White.
- 11. For Dolly Parton hearts, apply two Cadmium Orange dots side by side; use 10/0 liner to pull color down to form shape of heart. Let dry. Apply Melon highlight dot on top of hearts. Tap in Moon Yellow dots in center between hearts; let dry. Tap in smaller Lemon Yellow dots on top.
- 12. For remaining filler dots, tap in descending Leaf Green dots along swirls. Let dry. Tap smaller Sour Apple dots on top. Add filler double dots of True Blue, Cadmium Orange, and Cool White randomly. Let dry. Tap smaller dots of Baby Blue, Melon, and Lemon Yellow as desired.
- 13. For lettering, use #2 JS Liner to line letters Baby Blue. Shade right side of letters True Blue; highlight left side of letters Cool White. Let dry.
- 14. For chalkboard area, trace chalkboard pattern onto plaque using stylus and gray graphite. Use painter’s tape to tape off area for chalkboard. Use #1 flat to apply chalkboard paint across area following manufacturer’s instructions. Let dry.
- 1. Erase all graphite lines with white eraser. Apply varnish on area around chalkboard. Let dry.