Seashell Mosaic Trio
- Lightweight wooden frames (with removable inserts), 4”x4”, three
- Akasha’s Crushed Seashells or Pancea’s Pearl Fine Crushed Seashells, 1 pkg.
- White seashell, pencil starfish, sand dollar
- Canvas Corp. Light Natural Jute Rope, 48” length
- Diamond Tech Jennifer’s Mosaics White Indoor/Outdoor Powdered Grout
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Khaki Tan, White Wash; Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
sandpaper, disposable gloves, staple gun, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface), disposable container, craft stick, wedge sponge, container of water
- Remove inserts from frames. On covered work surface, apply sealer on frames and inserts. Let dry. Lightly sand. Use thinned White Wash to basecoat frames and Khaki Tan to basecoat inserts. Let dry.
- Use paintbrush to apply glue onto small section of frame. Press broken seashells into glue in random pattern, leaving small spaces between seashells for grout. Position pieces with straight edges along edges of frames for clean lines. Repeat until all frames are covered. Let glue set.
- Use craft stick to mix three parts grout and one part water in disposable container. Wearing gloves, apply grout to spaces between shells. Use damp wedge sponge to wipe off excess wet grout. Rinse sponge periodically in clean water. Let dry. When dry, use soft cloth to polish and remove dust left from grouting.
- Position inserts into frames. Straighten jute rope and fold in half. Tie off loose ends and pull tight. Fray loose ends. Lay frames in row upside down on work surface, leaving 1-1/2”-2” area between each frame. Lay jute rope over frames and use staple gun to attach to back of frames. Turn frames right side up.
- Apply glue to back of seashell, star fish, and sand dollar. Press each object on center of frame insert. Let dry.