Mosaic Hibiscus Frame
- Diamond Tech Cathedral Sheet Glass: Red (G359), 10”x10”; Grass Green (G3233G), 10”x10”; Black (GA412), 12”x12”
- Diamond Tech Grass Green Venetian Glass Tiles, 3/8”, 1 pkg.
- Photo frame with glass, 12”x12”
- Black grout
- Diamond Tech: Precision 2000 Band Saw, Wheeled Glass Nippers
- White primer
- Black acrylic paint
- Adhesives: spray adhesive, heavy-duty glue
graphite paper, scissors, disposable bowl, newspaper (to cover work surface), mixing spoon, craft stick, paper towel, sponge, disposable gloves, safety glasses, paintbrush or sponge brush, container of water, ruler, soft cloth, painter’s tape
- Cover work surface with newspaper. If frame is raw wood, apply primer to all surfaces. Let dry.
- Print out pattern. Print hibiscus pattern on white copy paper. Use graphite paper and pencil to trace hibiscus pattern onto upper right corner of frame transferring design. Remove graphite paper and pattern; reposition on lower left corner of frame and transfer pattern.
- Using sharp scissors, carefully cut hibiscus pattern apart staying on inside of pattern outline.
- Position sheets of Red and Grass Green stained glass with smooth side facing up on work surface. Apply spray adhesive onto glass sheets; adhere each leaf pattern piece on Grass Green glass and flower pattern piece on Red glass.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, use Precision 2000 Band Saw to cut around pattern pieces from glass sheets. Place glass pieces in bowl of water to remove pattern lines.
- Adhere hibiscus pieces on frame as indicated by pattern outline, leaving 1/8” space between pieces for grout using heavy-duty glue. Outline inner edge of frame opening with 3/8” Grass Green glass tiles. Fill in remaining surface of frame with Black stained glass. To do so, use glass nippers to cut and nip glass into random shapes and sizes. Fit pieces onto frame surface like jigsaw puzzle, leaving 1/8” space between pieces for grout.
- When satisfied with design, adhere pieces onto frame using heavy-duty glue. Let dry.
- Once dry, mask off edges of frame using painter’s tape. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to mix black grout in disposable container. Wearing rubber gloves, spread grout onto glass surface, making sure grout is pressed into all spaces between glass pieces. Wait 15 minutes for grout to set.
- Remove excess grout from glass using damp sponge. Let dry. Buff glass clean using soft cloth. Let dry for 24 hours.
- Paint edges of frame black. Let dry. Insert photo and glass into frame to display.