- Recycled cardboard box
- Balsa foam sheets, four 12” squares (or larger depending on
- Watercolor paper (or posterboard), 11”x13”
- Cardboard scrap or mat board, 12”x15” (slightly larger than box
- Acrylic paints: brown, black, orange, yellow, purple, white, gray, green, red
- Wooden skewers
- Embellishments: buttons, gems, faux pearls
- AMACO EZ Grip Modeling Tools
- Craft glue
- Newspaper (to cover work surface)
- For theatre shape, cut large square on front of cardboard box (for stage). Cut two small squares on box sides (for
puppets). Position box on side; glue flaps on sides.
- On covered work surface, paint box brown. Let dry.
- For background, draw holiday theme like graveyard, haunted house, or swamp on watercolor paper. Paint background in
paint colors of choice. Let dry. Glue background inside box (on back wall). Let dry.
- For theatre front, cut rectangles from balsa foam or craft foam. Use scissors to round long edges into curved stage
shapes. Glue rectangles around stage opening. Let dry.
- Use carving tools to create spider web, moon, tree, pumpkins, and gravestone in
balsa rectangles. See photo. Paint balsa carvings in paint colors of choice. Let dry.
- For puppets, cut pumpkin people, ghosts, and black cat from balsa foam scraps. Paint puppets in paint colors of
choice. Let dry.
- Paint wooden skewers black. Let dry. Insert wooden skewers into bottom of puppets; spot glue to secure.
- Glue embellishments on puppets as desired. Let dry.
- 1. Create unique theatre stage and puppets to compliment your favorite Halloween
book or play! Great for a group or classroom activity!