CHA 2013: The Hot List, Part II
- 1. Becky Higgins’ Project Life easy scrapbooking system got much buzz. The no-stress system requires no glue, no scissors, no tools, and is “designed to help anyone and everyone get their pictures into a book.”
- 2. Picking up on the scrapbooking vibe, camera images, especially vintage and retro styles, are everywhere, from paper, stamps, and stencils to chipboard, wood, and other embellishments. We love the designs from American Crafts, Dear Lizzie, Maya Road, Simple Stories, Studio Calico (shown here), Amy Tangerine, Kaisercraft, Lawn Fawn, BasicGrey, Prima, Hero Arts (shown here) and others. Crate Paper has a nifty photo overlay (shown here) that gives an ordinary photo a trendy Instagram look.
- 3. Mini rulers are the cutest thing to come out of the schoolhouse since my third-grade crush! Tim Holtz’s Idea-ology offers a clever ruler binder kit, ruler ribbon, and a ruler-filled background stamp. Maya Road has mini rulers and Little Yellow Bicycle offers canvas ruler-marked tape.
- 4. We love the bold, graphic typography, especially with a vintage flair, popping up on stamps from 7gypsies (shown here), Hero Arts (shown here), Stampers Anonymous, Stampendous! (shown here), etc.
- 5. Washi tape, still yummy and plentiful, now comes in sheets you can cut, punch, die cut, etc. We found sheets at Lifestyle Crafts and We R Memory Keepers, fun tape-looking stamps from Hero Arts and Penny Black, and Scotch Brand decorative masking tape from 3M.
- 6. If you put all the bling shown at CHA in one room, you’ll need sunglasses. (We’re so thrilled with all the bejeweling that we’re devoting an entire article to jewels in the Fall 2013 issue of Crafts ‘n things). Besides jewels in every size, shape and color, there’s new corrugated glitter cardstock, neon glitter, and glitter tape from American Crafts; die-cut glittered papers from Anna Griffin; jeweled paper from Hampton Art Stamps; rhinestone and vinyl glitter sheets from The Buckle Boutique, and glitter and glitter glue galore from Ranger, American Crafts, WOW, Stampendous!, Martha Stewart Crafts and others.
- 7. If your stamp style is the polar opposite of cute, take heart! There are stamps that celebrate that aesthetic: Art Gone Wild (zombies, hipsters, and geeks), Inky Antics (worldly women, shown here), Dylusions (couture, eclectic, sayings, shown here), Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 (funny sayings), The Greeting Farm (sassy girls), JudiKins (a human skull you dress up with bowties, top hat, mustache), and more.
- 8. Mixed media crafters can enjoy a variety of paints, sprays, inks, etc., including Imagine Craft’s Tsukineko Memento Luxe, Tattered Angels Naturally Aged Paint Systems (create stone, metal, or wood looks), Kroma (crackle medium), Clearsnap’s non-wicking Crafter’s Ink, and new chalk and pigment colors, etc.
- 9. Other cool stuff includes: Ad Tech’s upcoming Gloodle, a precision-tip liquid glue dispenser with snap-on interchangeable tubes; CraftDragon’s hot foil machine for leather, cards, acrylic, etc.; pen/marker storage systems from Crafter’s Companion and Art Bin; Eclectic Products’ E6000 spray adhesive; new tools and retro colors for Faber-Castell’s Gelato water-soluable pigment sticks; Lawn Fawn’s variegated baker’s twine; WOW! embossing powders, and so much more.
The Hot List, Part II