Door Banner Series: Spring & Summer Greetings
- Roc-Lon Fabric, 12-1/2”x21-1/2”, two
- Wooden dowel, 3/4” diameter, 14” length
- Wooden dowel caps, 1-1/4”, two
- Ribbon, 3/8”-wide, 1 yd.
- White cording, 1 yd.
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7550 Wash 3/4”; Series 7300 Angular Shader 1/2”, 3/4”; Series 7300C Shader #6; Series 247 Crescent 3/8”; Series 7050 Script 10/0, #1; Series 7000C Round #2, #6; Series 7500 Filbert #6; Series 270 Maxine’s Magic Mop 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Rose, Avocado Dip, Baby Blue, Black Green, Black Plum, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Orange, Camel, Dark Chocolate, Honey Brown, Lamp Black, Light Buttermilk, Milk Chocolate, Moon Yellow, Pansy Lavender, Plantation Pine, Snow White, Soft Blue, Summer Lilac, Tomato Red, Traditional Raw Sienna, Uniform Blue
- Small sea sponge
- DecoArt Americana Duraclear Matte Varnish
scissors, ruler, pencil, masking tape, stylus, paper towels, container of water, tracing paper, graphite paper, cosmetic wedge sponge, newspaper (to cover work surface), scrap paper, old toothbrush
- 1. Unless specific brush is noted in instructions, use best brush available to fit area painting. When floating colors for shading or highlighting, use mop brush to soften floats.
- 1. For each banner, measure and cut 12-1/2”x21-1/2” fabric rectangle. Position rectangle with wrong side facing up on work surface. Fold back fabric on top and bottom edges 1/2” to center; press. Fold top edge again 1-1/2”; press. (Note: This top edge will form casing for dowel to run through.) Use sewing machine and white thread to stitch along folded top and bottom edges.
- 2. Print out patterns. Trace patterns onto tracing paper.
- 3. Basecoat both sides of each fabric rectangle with two coats of Light Buttermilk. Let dry.
- 4. Measure 9” from top and mark. Measure another 1” down and mark. Measure 3-1/2” down again and mark, leaving about 4” area at bottom. On top 9” section, measure from left side over and mark at 9”, making 9” square at top with 3-1/2”x9” rectangle next to square. Repeat measurements for other fabric rectangle.
- 1. Basecoat 9” square Soft Blue. Let dry. Lightly sponge Light Buttermilk randomly for clouds. Leave 1” section in Light Buttermilk, paint 3-1/2” section below Summer Lilac. (Note: The other two sections remain Light Buttermilk background color.) Refer to photo for proper placement of colors. Let dry. With graphite paper, trace main pattern elements onto background.
- 2. Basecoat tree Dark Chocolate using 3/4” wash for trunk and #2 round for branches. Basecoat bird’s nest Milk Chocolate; use 10/0 script to stroke in twigs on next Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Honey Brown, and Camel. Highlight to left side of nest with strokes of Moon Yellow. Shade inside of nest Dark Chocolate.
- 3. Transfer baby birds into nest. Paint baby birds and mother bird Camel; shade Honey Brown and highlight Moon Yellow. Overstroke tail and wing feathers on mother bird using 10/0 script and Milk Chocolate, applying Camel to tip of brush before pulling strokes. Paint beaks and eyes Lamp Black; highlight eyes with small dot of Light Buttermilk. Paint mother bird’s feet Lamp Black. Paint worm in mother bird’s beak Milk Choclate; highlight Honey Brown.
- 4. Highlight tree trunk and tops of branches Milk Chocolate. Use #6 filbert to paint leaves with Plantation Pine, applying Avocado Dip to tip of brush before pulling leaves.
- 5. Basecoat tulips Moon Yellow and leaves and stems Plantation Pine. Highlight top of tulip petals Light Buttermilk and bottoms Honey Brown. Use 10/0 script to pull thin Honey Brown lines up from bottom of flowers. Shade stems Black Green; highlight Avocado Dip. Add Black Green vein lines down center of leaves. Pull grass around base of tulips using Plantation Pine, Avocado Dip, and Black Green.
- 6. Paint 1” white section in Lamp Black checks using #6 shader. Measure down 1/2” and draw light pencil line to keep checks straight and uniform. Paint “Spring” lettering using #1 script and thinned Lamp Black.
- 7. Paint flower at bottom Summer Lilac and leaves Plantation Pine. Shade leaves next to flower Black Green; highlight tips Avocado Dip. Add Avocado Dip vein lines on leaves using 10/0 script. Shade flower petals Pansy Lavender and Light Buttermilk along outer edges. Use 10/0 script to pull Light Buttermilk, Pansy Lavender, and Lamp Black lines from center of each petal to tips. Stipple flower centers Honey Brown and highlight Moon Yellow. Use stylus to add Light Buttermilk, Honey Brown, and Moon Yellow dots around center.
- 8. Using 10/0 script and thinned Lamp Black, add squiggly double lines to separate each section. Let dry. Use Lamp Black to outline each design element.
- 9. Paint wooden dowel Light Buttermilk and dowel caps Camel. Using end of paintbrush, dot dowel caps Light Buttermilk. Let dry.
- 1. Basecoat 9” square Baby Blue. While still wet, sponge Light Buttermilk for clouds. Leave 1” section Light Buttermilk; paint 3-1/2” section below it Tomato Red and bottom 4” section Uniform Blue. Refer to photo for placement of colors. Let dry. With graphite paper, trace main pattern elements onto background.
- 2. Basecoat sun Moon Yellow; shade left side of face and rays next to face Traditional Raw Sienna. Highlight right side of face and tips of rays Light Buttermilk. Transfer facial features. Use crescent brush to drybrush cheeks Antique Rose. Paint eyes Lamp Black and highlight Snow White. Use 10/0 liner and thinned Lamp Black to paint eyebrows, mouth, and nose.
- 3. Basecoat lighthouse Tomato Red, roof Lamp Black, and light Moon Yellow. Shade left side of lighthouse Black Plum. Use crescent brush to drybrush Cadmium Orange highlight to right of center. Let dry. Use clean crescent brush to run narrow Light Buttermilk highlight down center of Cadmium Orange highlight. Shade light Traditional Raw Sienna and highlight on right side Light Buttermilk. Highlight right side and rolled edge of roof with sideload of Baby Blue; highlight again Snow White. Sideload glass on light Snow White; extend color up to front edge of roof. Use 10/0 liner and thinned Lamp Black to add details on lighthouse; highlight railing Baby Blue.
- 4. Paint sand below lighthouse with (1:1) mixture Moon Yellow + Light Buttermilk. Shade sand with sideload of Burnt Umber. Let dry. Add wispy beach grass around sand with Traditional Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber.
- 5. Paint 1” white section in Lamp Black checks using #6 shader. Measure down 1/2” and draw light pencil line to keep checks straight and uniform. Paint “Summer” lettering Moon Yellow; shade bottom third of each letter Traditional Raw Sienna and highlight tops of letters Light Buttermilk.
- 6. Basecoat stars on Uniform Blue section Light Buttermilk. Shade stars Uniform Blue. Let dry. Position scrap paper over all but Uniform Blue section; use toothbrush and thinned Light Buttermilk to spatter background around stars. Let dry.
- 7. Outline elements and add detail lines using 10/0 liner and thinned Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 8. Paint wooden dowel Light Buttermilk and dowel caps Tomato Red. Using end of paintbrush, dot dowel caps Light Buttermilk. Let dry.
- 1. Apply varnish on dowel, dowel caps, and banner. Insert dowel into pocket and attach dowel caps to either end. Attach ribbon or white cording onto ends of dowel to hang.