- AMACO Marblex Clay
- Jumbo craft sticks
- Cardboard, 12” square
- AMACO Pottery Tool Kit
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin or wooden dowel
- Mirror or photo of self (for guide)
- Plastic bowl of water
- Plastic bag
- On piece of paper, sketch your self-portrait or portrait design. Use mirror
for self-portrait or look at photos.
(Remember, many of Picasso’s drawings
feature a face with part profile and part straight on.)
- On clean work surface, remove marblex
clay from package. To condition, use
rolling pin to roll clay to 1/2” thickness until clay is pliable.
- For bottom layer of portrait (neck),
measure and cut 8” square from rolled
clay. Dip fingers in water and rub water
on clay square. Cover clay square with
- For top layer of portrait (head), measure and cut 6” square of rolled clay. Dip fingers in water and rub water on clay square. Cover clay square with plastic bag.
- Position bottom square (neck) on
cardboard scrap. (Cardboard scrap helps
when moving portrait.) Using sketch as
guide, cut out design. Position top square (head) on neck. Using sketch as guide, cut out head design. Continue adding layers to portrait, creating dimensional eyes, eyelashes, collar, and ears. Smooth edges.
- Let portrait set for 2-3 days.
- 1. You can also use aluminum foil or plastic wrap underneath your portrait to aid in moving after completion!
Picasso Style Portrait