Brazilian Rag Dolls
- Wooden spoons, two
- Bright-colored fabric, scraps
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: True Red, Lamp Black
- Piping cording or white rope, 1-1/4 yds.
- Black embroidery floss, three
- Red rickrack, 18” length
- Ribbon, 5” length
- Hemp or jute twine, 16” length
- Large-eye sewing needle and sewing thread
- API Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate!
- Black marker
- Newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Measure and cut spoons to 7” lengths. Print and cut out pattern. Transfer face onto spoons.
- On covered work surface, paint lips True Red and dot eyes Lamp Black. Let dry. Lightly blush cheeks True Red. Let
dry. Use black marker to draw eyebrows and details on eyes.
- For girl’s hair, bundle two skeins of black embroidery floss together. Tie strand around center of bundle. For boy’s hair, cut remaining skein of black embroidery floss in half. Bundle halves together. Tie strand around center of bundle. For girl’s ponytails, measure and cut two 4” rickrack
lengths. Glue hair on top of heads. Tie ponytails around girl’s hair.
- For each doll, measure and cut 7” length (arms) and 12” length (legs) of piping cording. For hands and feet, measure and cut four 2” lengths of jute
twine. Tie jute twine around ends of arms and legs. Tie arms across wooden spoon. Fold legs in half; glue legs on back of wooden spoon.
- For girl’s skirt, measure and cut 5”x12” fabric rectangle. Use needle and thread to sew stitch, 1/4” from edge, along one 12” length. Pull thread ends to gather; wrap skirt around doll. Knot ends together.
- For boy’s pants, measure and cut two 5” fabric squares. Position squares together, with right sides facing, and cut 3” vertical slit in center. Use needle and thread to sew, 1/4” from center slit to sides, attaching pants squares together. Sew squares, 1/4”
from top edge, together. Pull thread ends to gather; wrap pants around doll. Knot ends together.
- For shirt, cut 5”x10” fabric rectangle. Fold shirt in half, forming 5” square. Cut 2” slit along fold (for neck opening). Position shirt over head.
- For boy, measure and cut 5” rickrack length. For girl, measure and cut 5” ribbon and 5” rickrack lengths. Tie rickrack and ribbon lengths around
- 1. Adults, help kids when cutting wooden spoons.