Textured Clay Medallion
- Polyform Sculpey Premo! Black Polymer Clay
- Black rubber cord, 2mm, 30" length
- Rubber stamp of choice
- AMACO Rub 'n Buff Silver Leaf Metallic Finish
- Round cookie cutters or circle template
- Clay-dedicated items: knife, rolling pin, baking sheet
- Needle tool
- Acrylic brayer
- Wooden skewer
cornstarch or talcum powder, waxed paper, ruler
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition clay. Roll to 1/4" thickness. Dust one side of clay and brayer with cornstarch or powder to prevent items from sticking.
- 2. Place clay, powder side down, on rubber stamp. Roll over clay firmly with acrylic brayer to impress texture on clay. Remove clay and place textured side up on waxed paper. Use cookie cutter or circle template to cut 2-1/4" medallion with 3/4" hole.
- 3. Roll scraps into 3/4" ball. Gently roll ball into 1" log; dust with cornstarch or powder. Pierce log lengthwise with needle tool, then insert skewer to enlarge hole. With clay still on skewer, roll over stamp to impress texture into clay. Hole will slightly enlarge when rolling.
- 4. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake items. When cool, lightly apply metallic wax with fingertip. (Note: Metallic wax is difficult to remove. Apply very sparingly, adding a second coat if needed.) Let dry.
- 5. Thread cord through medallion hole; tie overhand knot. Thread ends through bead; knot. Tie ends in overhand knot; trim ends.
- 6. For blue medallion, use 1/4 bar each of Polyform Sculpey Premo! Ultramarine Blue and White Clay, and 1/4 teaspoon black embossing powder for texture.
- 1. Try using mica powders to add a subtle hint of color and shine.